PDA

View Full Version : Flying into Aberdeen

Crowe
30th Jun 2001, 12:32
Hi folks

I'm planning to fly into Aberdeen Dyce next week, in a PA28, and the agent there quoted a handling fee of £80!

I know Dyce is busy with helo traffic, but £100 to land a light single, and park for a couple of hours seems excessive.

Does anyone know if the handling fee can be avoided?

Alternatively, does Fordoun (small aerodrome south of Aberdeen) take non-microlight traffic, and sell Avgas? I couldn't find much on the net about it - has it closed?

Appreciate any help on this

------------------
Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing.

Tee
30th Jun 2001, 13:27
Speak to the flying club and ask if you can park there.

Crowe
30th Jun 2001, 15:21
Thanks Tee. All sorted now - the school pointed me to the GA handing agent, Exec Air, who charge £30 for landing+handling - I can cope with that!

Unusual Attitude
6th Jul 2001, 03:17
You could also land at Insch which is about 15nm to the North west, its a 550m grass strip and is pretty tricky but the landing fee's are by donation and the bowser is full of Avgas !

Regards

UA

------------------
Something will always spoil your fun.....
Beer has the Hangover, Sex has the STD, GA has the CAA !

[This message has been edited by Unusual Attitude (edited 05 July 2001).]

Crowe
6th Jul 2001, 23:36
Thanks UA - I may well do that - at least for local flights if my mates up there want joyrides.

I'm used to short grass strips, so it may well be a good bet.

Do you know anything about Fordoun though, as that's closest to the folks I know in Aberdeen?

Cheers

DB6
8th Jul 2001, 00:15
Fordoun has crap all over the runways (containers etc.), you won't be able to land there. I have heard of aircraft landing at Edzell since the Yanks left, but the last time I flew over there appeared to be some sort of building on the runway.

Crowe
9th Jul 2001, 23:13
Thanks guys.

Insch it is.

[ 09 July 2001: Message edited by: Crowe ]

Unusual Attitude
10th Jul 2001, 03:49
Crowe,

I would recommend giving Ken the owner of Insch a call if your planning on doing a few flights. He can give you a brief on getting in and out of the strip safely.

Its not so much the fact that Insch is a short strip its more to do with the areas to avoid overflying, surrounding terrain, associated rotors and powercables on short finals.

I'm not sure what version of PA28 your planning on using but I would think Insch would be tight in a 161 Warrior with anything more than 2up and a decent amount of Fuel.
I own a share in a C172 based out of Insch and I wouldn't really recommend trying anything more.

As for Edzel one of the chaps in our group landed there a couple of months back but I'm not sure what the situation is myself to be honest.

Regards

UA

Dan Dare
10th Jul 2001, 14:00
Crowe,

If your friends are near Fordoun, then Insch is MILES from there (if memory serves, probably 90 minutes by car). Insch is a super field by Cub or equivalent (well done Woody), but not so great after long haul in a PA28. It can also be a bit tricky to find!

Aberdeen will treat you fine as long as you don't arrive at the wrong time. You should have a good look at the arrival/departure routes as well...

Enjoy the trip, I wish I was doing it. Ah nostalgia...

Spiney Norman
10th Jul 2001, 16:20
Hi.
Not much good for the Fordoun area but a chaep alternative to Aberdeen how about Whiterashes..1nm SW of the ADN..10/28 595x46m. 18/36 700x18m Grass. Landing fee Nil.
PPR by phone.
01339 755196
07836 375357 (airfield)
01256 704324

Haven't been in myself perhaps some of the local flyers have some more info?

Crowe
12th Jul 2001, 13:11
Sage advice from you all - thanks.

My trip has been put back a couple of weeks now, so bearing in mind UA's comments, I'll probably fly in to Dyce initially (after checking when the busy times are), and then go and check out Insch when I'm a bit fresher - I agree it's probably a good idea not to looking for a hard-to-find, tricky-to-land airfield after a 3 hour flight - not for a 60hr PPL anyway!

Again, thanks for all the help.

Unusual Attitude
17th Jul 2001, 03:57
Crowe, if you drop me an e-mail nearer the time I can meet you at Dyce and take you into and out of Insch in my C172 for you to get an idea of what to expect.

I'm in the middle of raising the last few hours needed for a CPL anyway so it will give me something usefull to do with my time in the air !

Regards

UA

FL245
2nd Aug 2001, 07:35
Wellfolks, that Execair and their executive handling ! but it is worth it... NOT