PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Le Mans

Flyingcircusace
30th Jun 2010, 11:09
All

I am planning to fly VFR to Les Mans to catch up with some friends at the Classic 24hr race. I will be in a 2 seat biplane with no transponder but good VHF coms. I have several thousand hours IFR but have never flown VFR in France!

Any tips or recommendations appreciated.

Cheers

FCA

oversteer
30th Jun 2010, 11:46
Le Mans - Arnage is the closest

Aéroport Le Mans : Liste des aéroports de France, parking aéroport de Le Mans - Arnage (http://www.aeroport.fr/les-aeroports-de-l-uaf/le-mans-arnage.php)

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/PDF_AIPparSSection/IAC/AD/2/1007_AD-2.LFRM.pdf

Seems to have customs ?

I bet it gets busy during the race weekends (including Classics) .. maybe special NOTAMS will apply

Whopity
30th Jun 2010, 12:00
For Visual arrivals:
https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/uk/..%5CPDF_AIPparSSection%5CVAC%5CAD%5C2%5C1007_AD-2.LFRM.pdf

Cusco
30th Jun 2010, 12:00
Watch out for gliders in that area too: They have a very busy facility and I've had one or two 'close encounters'

Cusco

Fuji Abound
30th Jun 2010, 12:18
I have been a few times - you will not have any issues.

In the past I think they have always issued special instructions for the week end so obviously you will need to have a copy of these. There is nothing very exciting in them although they set out the arrival and departure procedure. Not surprisingly there is a significant hike in prices for arrivals during the race.

They usually lay on transport to and from the airport to the gates (at extra cost of course); it is walkable but a little bit of a hike.

In the past from the airport point of view it has always been pretty well organised with plenty of parking on the grass. I usually go justt about due North from Le Man crossing the coast around Deauville - there is really nothing at all in the way to effect other than I seem to recall one small danger area about half way between the coast and Le Man.

Oh and obviously there are plenty of helicopters buzzing around and other traffic so you need the usual eyes in the back of your head.

stickandrudderman
30th Jun 2010, 19:12
Be sure to check out the girl in the tower!

IO540
30th Jun 2010, 21:34
On a tangential topic, I have had three KFC225 autopilot failures, with the pitch servo burning out each time, all over Le Mans. Specifically at a point about 5nm NE of the town. 2003, 2007, 2008 and the last two documented precisely with a GPS track log, within about a mile of each other.

A ground based missile guidance radar, most likely. I got Socata to check with the French military, who obviously denied they have anything there (there is a military area down there). I have a detailed writeup on this.

Merlin63
5th May 2012, 10:52
Does anyone know if Le Mans Arnage (LFRM) has customs available on the Thursday 14th - Monday 18th June?

I am heading to the 24 heures du Mans for the first time. I shall be departing from Wellesbourne and would welcome any tried and tested routes, from more experienced pilots.

Any other tips always welcome.

:ok:

goldeneaglepilot
5th May 2012, 11:24
Last time I flew to the 24hour race was 28 years ago, so not much help with up to date info. At that time it was incredibly busy, it required the booking of a departure slot time (even for VFR departure) if you missed your time you faced a very long wait. The fair was fantastic, but not much sleep through the night - watch how tired you are when flying back.

rgsaero
5th May 2012, 17:35
Goldeneaglepilot is right - it gets VERY busy; slots in and out have to be pre-booked and as he says if you miss one you can be flying around, or waiting on the ground for a long time. I know of a number of people who have tried to get slots but failed as they wanted to stay, and there was insufficient parking space.

Furthermore, the landing fees for that weekend are very high - even in British terms! . There's a very good and cheap alternate - Laval - cheap landing fees and parking and cheap car rental. Customs used to be OK but not sure if they are still there after the latest cuts in France. I've been to the race a number of times using Laval, but not for about eight years.

Merlin63
9th May 2012, 11:44
Can I request customs at Le Mans? How do I go about it?

Found the supplementary AIP for this year..
https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier/supaipmetro/SUP_2012_069_EN.pdf

neilgeddes
9th May 2012, 13:22
A definate thumbs up for Laval. Landing and hangarage is typically 10 euros :ok: I'd be very surprised if there's any customs facility though.

Merlin63
9th May 2012, 14:03
Does Laval have customs? Sounds good in the future but car hire, etc, all arranged from Le Mans airport.

Anyone know what landing fees/parking was last year, at Le Mans?

Mumbo_Jumbo
12th May 2012, 19:59
I can answer that one by way of an example; I still have the invoice from my trip last year in a GA7 Cougar Twin. I kept it as a souvenir... :{

Landing: 57,38 (+19,60 VAT) EURO
Parking: 85,77 (+19,60 VAT) EURO (arrived Sat AM, departed Mon AM)
Handling: 23,59 (+19,60 VAT) EURO
Passenger Charge (3 pax): (3 x 8,69) (+ 19,60 VAT)

Total Invoice Amount (inc VAT) = 230,60 Euro :ok:

Merlin63
13th May 2012, 18:53
Cheers for that Mumbo Jumbo. Was a bit worrying until I saw that you were in a twin. I shall only be in a Piper Arrow.

I shall call Le Mans, this week, to enquire about customs facilities on the 14th June.

How early do I need to book a landing slot/time ?

Merlin63
13th May 2012, 18:56
According to The Flyer, Laval is having it's custom facilities removed this Summer, indicating to me that they currently DO have customs.

Telephone call required, me thinks.