PDA

View Full Version : Percival Gull Monoplane

Kermit 180
30th Jun 2001, 10:45
If anyone out there has any experience on the 1930's British Percival Gull or Proctor types, either from a pilot or engineering perspective, could you please give me your thoughts on this aircraft. I would be grateful for any performance specs and tips.

Thanks.

Kermie

FNG
30th Jun 2001, 16:39
I assume that you've read "The Flight of the Mew Gull" by Alex Henshaw. I heard him speak about his Spitfire test-pilot years, at Duxford a few weeks ago. He is 93 (so his audience of WW2 aircrew were young lads by comparison) but looks and acts like a man decades younger. He must be the world's leading expert on the Gull (as he is on the Spitfire). Amazing to think that the London-Capetown record he set in the Gull still stands.

[This message has been edited by FNG (edited 30 June 2001).]

Kermit 180
1st Jul 2001, 11:32
Thnaks for the reference to the book, I shall look it up. Cant see myself breaking any records though.

Rallye Driver
2nd Jul 2001, 15:44
The Mew Gull was flying yesterday at the Shuttleworth Summer Airshow at Old Warden, and still goes like the clappers. That record breaking flight to South Africa and back with only a map and compass as navigational aids is incredible when you actually see how small the aircraft is.

Although it is owned by Desmond Penrose, the aircraft is kept at Old Warden. There was also what looked like a Proctor in the hangar as well, so it might be worth contacting the Shuttleworth Collection to see if they have any information, or whether they can put you in touch with the owners.

Their email address is: collection@shuttleworth .org

The Shuttleworth Veteran Aircraft Society which provides volunteer help can be contacted at: [email protected]

Hope this helps.

RD

Kermit 180
5th Jul 2001, 11:57
Thanks for the address Rallye!

I have sent an email and hope that they can help me out.

Kermie

Lew Ton
8th Jul 2001, 01:45
There are some photos of the Mew Gull at Old Warden taken by me during the de Havilland Moth Club Charity Weekend 23/24 June on my web site. It's a bit slippery to photograph!

The aircraft is now owned by Desmond Penrose, who use to be a de Havilland test pilot. This is the aircraft flown by Alex Henshaw to the Cape and back in 1939 in 4 days 10 hours 16 minutes.

Amazingly, the aircraft was sold in France soon after and survived the 1939-45 war in storage and was flown to the UK in 1950.

I should be seeing Desmond next weekend and I'll show him your e-mail.

Steve
[email protected] www.stevelevien.com (http://www.stevelevien.com)

Kermit 180
8th Jul 2001, 05:51
Thanks for your help LT. ;)

Lew Ton
13th Jul 2001, 20:36
Desmond will be flying the Mew Gull at tomorrow's (Sat 14th) Shuttleworth Sunset Display.

Weather doesn't look too clever, though. :(

LowNSlow
14th Jul 2001, 00:41
I hope it's good enough. I'll be there to see the Gull flying with Desmond at the helm.