PDA

View Full Version : Anyone completed or into a PPL at Cranfield?

You want it when?
28th Jun 2001, 18:57
Hi I've been in the Wannabees forum and missed this one - more my liking, I'm never flying for a living. Has anyone completed a recent (last 12 months or so) PPL at Cranfield and can they offer advice on which school to choose (and why?). I flew an familiarisation with Cabair but their prices are prohibitive to a mere mortal. I'm looking at FlyTeam's package - £4,250 for 45 hours, ground instructions, exam costs and landing fees included. Advice anyone?

------------------
Stop that oscillation!

Cahlibahn
28th Jun 2001, 22:50
Can't help with specifics, haven't heard anything bad about FlyTeam or Bonus...

I would be very wary of parting with £4250 up front to anyone in the present flight training economic situation though.

You want it when?
29th Jun 2001, 13:24
My economics are a big issue - I don't have £4,250 lying around (anyone want to buy a TR7v8 convertible - great pose!) but most of the shcools will accept a staged payment (slight premium) and allow a now penalty drop out if the funds run dry.

Any thoughts on how many hours a week I should go for? One school sayes an hour a week is enough - another sayes they would like to see a five or six hour commitmant

------------------
Stop that oscillation!

Cahlibahn
29th Jun 2001, 14:10
another says they would like to see a five or six hour commitment

I bet they would! It is one of those 'how long is a bit of string' questions. Far better to be in a financial position to do an hour (or even two)a week than jump in too early and only do an hour a month.

(more detailed reply emailed off-forum)

AC-DC
29th Jun 2001, 20:15
I have done mine long ago, it was with Bonus. Flyteam are goodorganisation. Also have a look at Cranfield Aero Club. It is owned by a man who flew at the RAF (B29 I think), they are very professionals.

Gog
2nd Jul 2001, 14:06
Did mine many years ago with Osprey, do they still exist ?

Evo7
2nd Jul 2001, 15:26
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">

One school sayes an hour a week is enough - another sayes they would like to see a
five or six hour commitmant

</font>

I'd probably find more than two a week too much - although it would be nice to find out :) - but ultimately it depends on how much of a hurry you are in. I spend quite a bit of time between lessons thinking things through and trying to make sure that I've assimilated everything from the last lesson, and too many lessons too quickly wouldn't give me the time. I figure at &gt;100 quid an hour you might as well make the most of each one....

You want it when?
2nd Jul 2001, 16:22
Thanks for all the replies on this. I've settled on Flyteam and I'll let you know how it goes. Had a great second lesson on Sunday - two take offs, lots of playing with trim (now get it out of this type stuff) and two almost landings but apparently C150s don't land very well side-ways. More practice needed here.

I'm up again this Saturday if the wx holds. If not then it's ground school time. Wish I'd done this years ago.

------------------
Stop that oscillation!

JuicyLucy
3rd Jul 2001, 00:23
Hi Gog, Osprey went a few years ago - nothing to do with Mick & Angie but the **** that bought the business then ran it into the ground.
(If you learnt in the Mick days then I was probably one of your instructors.......)

noblues
5th Jul 2001, 01:43
JuicyLucy - Hi I did my PPL at Osprey during the 'Mick and Angie' days in 87/88.
I now have 5000 hours, spent 1000 hours instructing and have been flying 'buses' for the last 6 years .....
All in all Osprey must have taught me something wright to still be at it today !

My first flight was with old Paddy Barton no sadly no longer with us.

8th Jul 2001, 02:01
Who is the guy around Cranfield who sounds really miserable all the time?
"This is Golf .. Bravo .. Oscar .. Hotel .. Uniform..."
I don't mean to offend but he does sound like he doesn't want to be there!

2Donkeys
8th Jul 2001, 23:23
So many candidates :D My money would be on D**** C**l**n ;)

[ 08 July 2001: Message edited by: 2Donkeys ]

[ 08 July 2001: Message edited by: 2Donkeys ]

9th Jul 2001, 20:46
I don't know any names, but by the amount he is flying he's definitely an instructor.

Balance!
11th Jul 2001, 12:37
You wouldn't be referring to 'Bonus71' by any chance?
:D

[ 11 July 2001: Message edited by: Balance! ]

2Donkeys
11th Jul 2001, 16:47
That's the chap I was referring to :)

I was led to believe that he no longer flies with Bonus though, and may have set up his own (small) shop.

AC-DC
13th Jul 2001, 00:39
312928 & 2 Donky
If you mean David, than it will take you life time to learn everything that he had experiance and forgot!

Cusco
13th Jul 2001, 01:52
No experience of PPL training at Cranfield but last year I went (by road) to pick up the group aeroplane after a bit of avionics work.

I was number nine in the queue for take-=off and that took just under 30 mins and I remember thinking at the time 'I'm bl**dy glad I hadn't signed up for my PPL training here' : after all who wants to pay for half of an hour's sortie sitting on the ground while someone four ahead has a mag problem.

go for a small outfit with no major training establishments on site.

Safe flying or bons vols as they say in Madagascar

Cusco

2Donkeys
13th Jul 2001, 13:42
ACDC

It may be your obvious unfamiliarity with the English language.

Nothing that has appeared in this thread should in any way be read as a downer on Bonus 71. Most people I know hold him in deep affection.

Does anybody know if he is still flying? I had heard a rumour that he was no longer with Bonus.

Balance!
13th Jul 2001, 17:40
heard him on the RT a couple of weeks ago, but not with the Bonus 71 call sign. Can't mistake DC's dulcet north country tones

13th Jul 2001, 20:28
AC-DC
If you read the post again you will see that I made no comment about the professionalism of that person.
Personally I think he sounds miserable.

AC-DC
13th Jul 2001, 22:45
312928 & 2 Donkey
Apologies if I have jumped into conclusions too quickly, but I still would be very hesitant to describe someone I know nothing about as miserable, especially on a public site. Long time ago David to worked for Cabair and recently for Bonus. Currently he is the owner of “Cranfield Aero Club” and is one of the BEST instructors and pilots I have ever came across (all together I had 5, all expariance with 4 golden bars). His problem is that he keeps himself to himself and does not promote himself. The more you know of him the more respect you have for him. I was very privileged to be thought by him and I do recommend it to any one who wants to get or renew any rating.
Apologies again if I attributed to you something that you did not mean.

AC-DC