PDA

View Full Version : Private to Public Cat

Fuji Abound
30th Mar 2002, 14:30
Just been through the process of transferring from the private to public cat. I thought a few of the lessons learnt might be of interest.. .. .Expect to replace the fire extinguisher and medical kit unless they are JAR compliant. Expect a few more placards dotted around. The exit has to be clearly labeled in case you had forgotten were it was! Expect a mountain of paperwork. Expect a full CAA air test. It all involves just a bit more than you might at first anticipate if you have always been on private cat.. .. .Why do it? Well the maintenance requirements are now little different from private cat (or so I have been led to believe) but the aircraft can be used for training for new ratings if Group owned.. . . . <small>[ 30 March 2002, 10:31: Message edited by: Fuji Abound ]</small>

LowNSlow
31st Mar 2002, 10:45
Fuji, re the maintenance, expect the 42 day checks (roughly a 50 hour check without changing the oil and pulling the spark plugs). Even if you don't fly during this period the aircraft still has to have the check. That's cos it's now an airliner! Time to get some gold bars from Transair :D :D

Also you, as owner, can no longer do much work, if any, yourself. Hope the rental covers the extra engineers bill. :eek:

Finally, stating the obvious, don't forget to tell your insurance company that it is now on Public Cat. ;)

Stan Evil
31st Mar 2002, 12:49
Fuji. Last posting not quite right about maintenance. You'll be using LAMS I guess so that's 50 hour and 6 month checks, plus annuals.

LowNSlow
1st Apr 2002, 02:38
Stan, have the rules changed under the JAA?

I had a C150 on a Public CofA back in the nineties and that used to have to have 42 day checks. :(

They weren't that expensive but still a pain in the butt

100LL
1st Apr 2002, 15:32
You mean 62 day checks

bookworm
1st Apr 2002, 17:28
The 62 day interval went up to 6 months a couple of years ago.

LowNSlow
2nd Apr 2002, 08:24
62 day checks. Them's the ones what I meant. :D

Seems sensible to have changed them to 6 monthly. Good old CAA :D