PDA

View Full Version : Cost of class 2 medical?

Ringway Flyer
28th Jun 2010, 08:38
My medical is due again soon, and I asked my flying partner what his cost. I was surprised to find that he is paying some £40 less... We are both over 50.

No doubt different DRs will charge different rates according to their overheads, but £40 seems to be a big difference! Apart from doing the obvious, and changing docs, do you think I'm paying over the odds? What is the 'ball park' figure?
:(

Ryan5252
28th Jun 2010, 09:00
Not much help to you but my initial was £120 including ECG and walked away with the certificate same day. Though I assume yours is a renewal only...

Sam Rutherford
28th Jun 2010, 09:06
Is there a single source listing all 'AME' with both JAA and FAA certification - ie a one-stop shop for both medicals?

It would be useful.

Safe flights, Sam.

bern444
28th Jun 2010, 09:13
If you're just an ordinary PPL with no ambition for higher things, the NPPL "medical" is a joy. I converted a couple of years ago, and though I can't do lunch in Le Touquet (been there, done that), my visit to the GP the other day lasted about 10 minutes and cost nothing. He checked my medical history on his computer, signed and stamped the form and I don't have to go back till my 65 birthday in a couple of years.

B

S-Works
28th Jun 2010, 09:46
Frank Voeten at Daventry does my JAA and FAA Class 1 medicals, Great value for money a pilot and a very pleasant chap.

172driver
28th Jun 2010, 11:40
Dr. Peter Orton at Stansted does both JAA and FAA (plus CASA and I think a couple of others to boot).

Ringway Flyer
28th Jun 2010, 15:49
Thanks for your comments.... I'm 66, but I don't think that's an issue. Last year it cost £170 and this year looks to be + £10. The NPPL option might be worth looking at. We only do about 25 hours a year and have no plans to go into Europe. Would southern Ireland be covered by the NPPL? that's one place we would like to explore. And the IoM.

RF

bern444
28th Jun 2010, 18:49
You will find - eventually - all the info here NPPL Home Page (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/general_info.php)

I'm pretty certain that Eire is out, but the IoM might be in. Supposedly all will be sorted when the EASA get their act together and invent a common licence, but don't hold your breath. Of course if you go microlight, you can go where you like on an NPPL. It's all such bollocks......

B

foamer
28th Jun 2010, 22:43
Ha Ha

Well said, what a load of s##t it is!

Im in East kent and only doing my PPL rather than my NPPL so i can visit the closest airfields to me!:*

Deeday
28th Jun 2010, 22:59
With my GP it took two letters to the NPPL medical advisor and quite a bit of hassle to get him to sign the medical declaration. Plus, he said the visit was considered a private medical and charged me £40; not the best GP you could hope for, but still a lot cheaper than a Class 2 medical.

WRT NPPL in Ireland, I started a thread, a couple of months ago (Any chance to fly in Ireland on a UK NPPL (A)? (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/411818-any-chance-fly-ireland-uk-nppl.html)) and the answer appears to be 'no' for the moment.

Ringway Flyer
29th Jun 2010, 07:17
All comments noted, thanks. The CAA NPPL pages gave me the answers I need (tnx bern444).

But no one has confirmed that £180 is average. I'm committed to this year's anyway, now, but will be taking a long hard look before this time next year at downgrading to NPPL. Retirement is a double edged sword - before retirement, money and no time, after retirement, time and no money.... :hmm:

RF

S-Works
29th Jun 2010, 08:35
Supposedly all will be sorted when the EASA get their act together and invent a common licence, but don't hold your breath.

We have a common licence, it is called the JAA PPL and gives you full private flying rights across all JAA member states.........

I pay £100 for combined FAA & JAA Class 1 medicals.

bern444
29th Jun 2010, 08:56
pay £100 for combined FAA & JAA Class 1 medicals.
Well, then you're very very lucky !

AS for GPs and the NPPL, my only experience is two visits in 5 years, but I assume they do HGV medicals all the time, and if they can clear you to drive a huge truck - and probably live on all day breakfasts - they must clear you for this too.

On my first visit the GP hadn't heard of the NPPL, but I explained and gave him the reference sheets, and he understood. On my recent visit 5 years on a different GP said he'd seen a few of these, and just checked the computer. As I haven't been near the place in a long time, there was no reason not to sign, as it's a negative check. It's up to the pilot to flag up medical reasons not to fly if the GP doesn't have any.

B

sammypilot
29th Jun 2010, 09:32
When I first elected to change from PPL to NPPL I passed all the relevant papers concerning the issue to my GP. I have recently had my fourth renewal with him and he still can't come to terms with the fact that all he is doing is countersigning my declaration as to fitness to fly. He therefore carries out s short examination - blood pressure, eyesight etc - before signing. For this he charges me £26.00. Still cheaper than using an AME.

The NPPL of course restricts me as to aircraft I can fly (The Piper Arrow is now out) but I can still visit all of the UK including the IOM, Northern Ireland and, more recently, the Channel Isles. I do miss France however.

S-Works
29th Jun 2010, 13:48
Well, then you're very very lucky !

I don't think it is the exception. My previous AME only charged £80 for a Class 1. I gave the details of my current AME who is also a forumite.

It does not harm to shop around.

Taking aside the fact that I fly for a living, there is no way that I would change from a JAA licence to a NPPL other than if there was no way I could get a Class 2. For me the freedom of flying is being able to get out of the UK under my own steam.

Saving a few quid on a medical to seriously cripple my flying capability is not even on the option list.

Katamarino
29th Jun 2010, 13:57
I can also recommend Dr Frank Voeten at Daventry. He did my FAA and JAA medicals recently for a very reasonable price, and is a nice guy too! :ok:

gaxan
1st Jul 2010, 06:01
My last medical (june 2010) cost £180 inc VAT OUCH !!!!!. needless to say I will be shopping around next year

BEagle
1st Jul 2010, 06:48
Those of you flying on NPPLs might care to look at EASA's medical proposals for the daft 'LAPL'. No longer will it be a simple, quick negative check, but will be a medical examination - although it can be conducted by a GP 'where national laws so permit'......:uhoh:

Another reason to bin the unwanted LAPL.

Incidentally, negotiations with the French are now at an advanced state - specific additional requirements will probably be needed, including a medical acceptable to the DGAC. DO NOT pester AOPA, LAA or NPLG for more information on this, it will be announced when it is ready to go 'live'.

Staggering
1st Jul 2010, 08:07
My usual AME put his price up by 25quid to over £200 this year. I wasn't very happy with that so I went to an AME in Warwickshire who did it for less than half the price!!! It was a bit of a drive but I easily covered my costs. PM me if you want his contact details.

bern444
1st Jul 2010, 09:02
No longer will it be a simple, quick negative check, but will be a medical examination - although it can be conducted by a GP 'where national laws so permit'......http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif

Well, foreign bollocks is often even worse than the British version. I see that Nick Clegg is going to start a "Your Freedom" website, where you can tell the government about stupid regulations you'd like to get rid of. I'm sure we can all write reams on that, and so will every other special interest in the country, but I have the feeling that those on the other end will have no idea what anyone is talking about. For instance, I think the IVA test for home build cars is rediculously over specified, and as it endlessly changes it keeps hordes of bureaucrats in unnecessary business, but I doubt that anyone else here knows or cares what I'm talking about.

Actaully - I'm going to start a thread....

B

pulse1
1st Jul 2010, 09:13
I have noticed over the years that AMEs who do only Class 2 medicals tend to charge less than those who do the lot. This is often because they have an interest in GA and do not require any special equipment.

bingoboy
1st Jul 2010, 09:15
I understand that the CAA ensure that there is minimal AME competition by limiting the numbers.
Anyone know if this is so?

kui2324
1st Jul 2010, 09:28
bingoboy - this is not the case. A few years ago they removed the geographical limitation on where AMEs could be appointed and practice. There is now an upper limit of numbers in total.

But all new AMEs need to have either previous or current experience in aviation of some sort to even be appointed. So your class 2 medical could be done by an AME who flies a cub or your class 1 by someone who either works in the industry/military as a doctor or even has their own CPL/IR/ATPL. This is the case for three of the four AMEs in my area.

Graham Borland
1st Jul 2010, 09:43
I had my initial JAR Class 2 the other day. It cost me £276. Just as well he gave me the ECG test before presenting me with the invoice!

Cusco
1st Jul 2010, 10:07
Retirement is a double edged sword - before retirement, money and no time, after retirement, time and no money....

Ain't that the truth!

Cusco ;)

gyrotyro
1st Jul 2010, 10:37
I am 62 and Dr Ian Ramsey in Cheltenham charges £80 for a class II JAA medical including an ECG which is ok for me.