PDA

View Full Version : Belgian flyers have poor weekend in Scotland

fisbangwollop
27th Jun 2010, 21:41
I dont know if it was the Hercule Poirot flying club or something but a fair few Belgian aviators caused a fair bit of grief over Scotland this weekend. Friday saw a few Belgian Rotary types infringe the Glasgow control zone without any ATC clearance's...........the next day most were rounded up by the Strathclyde police helicopter after flying very low and annoying the locals around Iona.....today one Belgian fixwing managed to fly through the Edinburgh control zone again without a clearance..........All I can hope is that they enjoyed the fine Scottish scenery!...:cool::cool::cool:

10W
27th Jun 2010, 21:50
Do what Brussels would do to us ... fine them a packet ;)

eharding
27th Jun 2010, 22:19
I dont know if it was the Hercule Poirot flying club or something but a fair few Belgian aviators caused a fair bit of grief over Scotland this weekend. Friday saw a few Belgian Rotary types infringe the Glasgow control zone without any ATC clearance's...........the next day most were rounded up by the Strathclyde police helicopter for after flying very low and annoying the locals around Iona.....today one Belgian fixwing managed to fly through the Edinburgh control zone again without a clearance..........All I can hope is that they enjoyed the fine Scottish scenery!...:cool::cool::cool:

......and, no doubt, when they weren't happily bonging controlled airspace, they were demanding of the local purveyors of fine fried potato and fish products that they supply mayonnaise to go on the chips. Heathens.

IO540
28th Jun 2010, 05:15
What aircraft types?

Captain Smithy
28th Jun 2010, 06:20
Oops! Not good. :uhoh:

Were any departures/arrivals from PH affected FBW?

Smithy

fisbangwollop
28th Jun 2010, 06:27
Smithy.....unsure but this one departed PJ then flew right through the PH approach at 5 miles :=

10W
28th Jun 2010, 06:41
All I can hope is that they enjoyed the fine Scottish scenery!...

And uninterrupted by any RT chatter too ;)

Captain Smithy
28th Jun 2010, 07:13
Smithy.....unsure but this one departed PJ then flew right through the PH approach at 5 miles :=

Well, if you're going to do it, do it in style... Don't think our chums down at Aviation House at Gatwick will be too pleased at that one... :uhoh:

Smithy

Maoraigh1
28th Jun 2010, 07:51
Scotland is a soft touch for foreigners. (Including English). a Spanish pilot flew under the Ballachullich bridge - and wasn't prosecuted. He claimed to have hit a downdraft. An RAF pilot, flying as a civillian ppl, flew under the Skye bridge. He was prosecuted, but found not guilty, as he said he had to dodge a flock of seagulls.

larzabell
28th Jun 2010, 08:49
a Spanish pilot flew under the Ballachullich bridge - and wasn't prosecuted. He claimed to have hit a downdraft.

- an absolute classic!

Captain Smithy
28th Jun 2010, 08:54
Must've been one hell of a downdraft. :suspect:

Maoraigh1
28th Jun 2010, 20:05
http://www.avweb.com/other/kirbowletteremercencyrevocation.pdf
Avweb link to how the FAA handle things.
After an Edinburgh area pilot undershot at Insch, and bounced off a moving car, although the CAA did not prosecute, the Procurator Fiscal did, and he WAS convicted.

IO540
28th Jun 2010, 20:38
What aircraft types?

Sir George Cayley
28th Jun 2010, 21:20
ARE is based in HQ in town not at Gatwick. Have they been referred?

Sir George Cayley

Floppy Link
28th Jun 2010, 21:23
Sorry IO540, meant to reply earlier

At least one B206 JetRanger, several R44 and maybe R22 as well. No idea about the fixed wing.

Capt Whisky Whisky
29th Jun 2010, 09:29
Perhaps, after being subjected to the 'Oban Experience' and being reported to a bemused local policeman for 'failing to comply with Air Traffic Regulations' by Glenforsa's very own sciolist, they thought that the quickest way home was a straight line!

WW

Captain Smithy
29th Jun 2010, 12:17
According to a ladyfriend who's on Iona, she said there was about 7 of them that decided to land. Landowner chased them off and they landed elsewhere where PC Plod picked them up, but one got away. That's all I know at the mo.

Anyone know what happened to the PH buster on Sunday???

Smithy

Tyler Durden
29th Jun 2010, 14:12
I heard an OO callsign on Sunday about 15:00ish on his way to DCS.

Is OO the Belgian prefix?

Vizsla
29th Jun 2010, 14:28
How can you have an orgasm in an R22 :D

IO540
29th Jun 2010, 15:30
I thought helis flew so low that airspace did not apply to them... a bit like cars. I mean, I can drive right through the Gatwick zone by going up the A23/M23.

Captain Smithy
29th Jun 2010, 17:08
How can you have an orgasm in an R22 :D

Perhaps that question is best left unanswered...

Smithy :uhoh:

dont overfil
29th Jun 2010, 18:58
I think that feat was a speciality of the Edinburgh Air Centre back in the 1990s. Not in an R22 I'll admit.
DO.

Dodgy Reckoning
29th Jun 2010, 19:30
At Glenforsa when they arrived on Friday. The gentleman that runs the airfield asked us when we arrived if we'd heard any helicopters en route, because he'd heard a "rumour" that they were coming, but apparently noone had called for PPR.

Some of them landed on the hotel lawn and seemed like nice enough people. But the following morning, a couple went to Oban for fuel, but didn't seem to have an airfield diagram between them and struggled to understand where they were being asked to land.

DR

eharding
29th Jun 2010, 21:06
But the following morning, a couple went to Oban for fuel, but didn't seem to have an airfield diagram between them and struggled to understand where they were being asked to land

To be fair, it has been known in recent history that a request for clarification of the exact location of a specific helicopter landing area at Oban - from a few miles out - to be met with the ever helpful reply of "It's in front of you".

That being said, if they manage to lose any more of the runway, then you may as well just paint "H4" on it and re-name the place "Oban Heliport".

Those crazy Belgians.

'India-Mike
29th Jun 2010, 21:43
Here's hoping the Germans have a better time this week.

Prestwick swarming with them - Cirrus, Piper, Diamond, Beechcraft, TBM. Pretty posh flying club.

Oban should be safe though - they'll instinctively head East...:E

140KIAS
30th Jun 2010, 23:20
That explains why I saw 4 R22 or 44 in formation crossing the M8 near Harthill whilst driving to Edinburgh on Friday evening. Looked like they were heading NW at around 2000'. It did strike me as odd especially since there is a heli only prohibited zone nearby.

S205-18F
2nd Jul 2010, 09:50
One R22 made it to EGPG for fuel on his homeward journey and he certainly had little English! (NONE), when he departed was given an option for an early left turn to head South! He turned right and was last seen heading North!!!
He must have gone the long way home!!:eek:

JW411
2nd Jul 2010, 17:56
I don't know how you can say that. Nobody in Cumbernauld can speak English!

S205-18F
2nd Jul 2010, 18:04
Nope I wont rise to that one!!!! We speak Scots Ye Ken!!!!!:p

JW411
2nd Jul 2010, 18:40
Auch awa an bile yer heid!

Floppy Link
2nd Jul 2010, 21:51
S205 he was actually talking about those who can speak Italian. Fluently. :ok:

fisbangwollop
2nd Jul 2010, 21:56
We all know how Cumbernauld got the ICAO location indicator PG...." Pretty Grim" :cool: At least it was famous for something......Gregory's Girl was filmed there......Brill and that Clare Grogan a pure doll!!!
YouTube - Gregory's Girl: First Date (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZtHWz3yr4I)

Oldpilot55
2nd Jul 2010, 22:23
Well I heard them talking to Waddo on Sunday, heading south and into bandit territory, ompared with Scot Info.