PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Flying Club

Enji
27th Jun 2010, 17:45
Hi there,

I'm thinking about training for my PPL. I live in Edinburgh and I'm just wondering if anyone has used Edinburgh Flying Club before or even at present? If so, what are your experiences of it?

Also, if anyone knows of any places close to Edinburgh (being worth the travelling), then I'm open to suggestions too.

Appreciate help,
Thanks

atceng
27th Jun 2010, 19:59
When I visited Edinburgh Flying Club about 18 months' ago to enquire about training for a PPL,the CFI (?) , who was engaged on the 'simulator' playing windows patience, advised me to go to Glenrothes or Cumbernauld. 'Nuff said and done!
I suggest you visit all the training schools, and judge by your reception.and the age of the aircraft available for training.
Cumbernauld has two training schools so take care to visit both of them.

atceng

Enji
27th Jun 2010, 21:29
first of all, thanks for the response :ok:

can I ask, did he give his reasons for advising you to train at those places?

also, I see you are from Edinburgh too. Where did you end up choosing and, can I ask - how do you travel there (and how long is the journey)?

edit: I should say I do plan to visit the flying clubs, but i'm out the country for the next 2 months so I thought i'd get a good idea here first from people with first hand experience.

atceng
27th Jun 2010, 22:43
Sent you a PM as I don't want to be responsible for starting WW III.

atceng

Captain Smithy
28th Jun 2010, 07:15
Enji - check your PMs ;)

Smithy

Enji
29th Jun 2010, 16:55
would like to say a huge thank you to all again who sent me a PM - some of whom were not posters in this topic :ok: A huge help to me.

if anyone else would be kind enough to post or even PM me their views, that would be fantastic.

cheers again guys

MadMurdock
1st Jul 2010, 11:12
I did my all my training with Tayside Aviation at Fife Airport, Glenrothes and would definately recommend them. Top class training, only 20 minutes drive once you're over the bridge.
Fife Flying Club, which you join to train there, is friendly and organises lots of activities for students & PPL's alike, For example this weekend there's a fly-out to Newtonards with a number of students accompanying PPL's and instructors.
Alot of members are from Edinburgh & the Lothians.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Geobunny
1st Jul 2010, 20:13
I've been lurking here for a number of years and haven't said a great deal (I think I have one post to my name!) but figure I should probably chip in on this one.

I did all my training at Edinburgh Flying Club and am still with them now. They're a really friendly bunch, so I'm surprised by atceng's experience.

Operating from the main runway at Edinburgh is amazing, and ATC are great about slotting you in with commercial traffic. With you constantly leaving, entering and transiting the class D airspace, you're using the radio almost from day 1 which is a huge boon, especially when it comes to doing the written and radio exams.

Another thing, living here you'll know that the weather can change pretty quickly and if you're driving 45 minutes or an hour to get to Glenrothes/Cumbernauld only to be told when you get there that the cloudbase has dropped since you phoned and that your lesson can't happen, you'd be understandably annoyed. It's only a short trip out to Edinburgh airport, so even if that happens, at least you haven't wasted half a day driving!

Give the club a phone (0131 339 4990) to organise a trial flight and see how you enjoy it.

PM me or reply in the thread if you want any more info, I'm happy to chat.

datacard
6th Jul 2010, 18:01
I have to say that learning to fly at Fife, Perth or Cumbernauld would be more practical, as it is impossible to do circuits at Edinburgh. This means that your circuit training becomes more expensive, as for every sortie you have to fly to and from one of the above airfields anyway. However, it is excellent experience to be mixing with commercial traffic from day one, and dealing with ATC, not an air/ground service. Training at Edinburgh should make you much more confident (and skilled) on the radio. Oh, and that CFI at Edinburgh is well-known for being a bit defeatist - don't let him worry you.