PDA

View Full Version : Lundy Island

1800ed
27th Jun 2010, 15:28
Has anyone flown into Lundy Island recently? All I can seem to find out is that it's got a bumpy 400m grass strip on it, it looks like a fairly interesting challenge!

DaveW
27th Jun 2010, 18:10
Here's a report (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64297) from 21 June.

The LAA Devon Strut page on Lundy can be found from here (http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/#/airfields/4536697666), and they are having a fly-in (http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/#/events/4536727634) to there on 8th of August.

1800ed
27th Jun 2010, 21:03
Thanks for the info :ok:

robin
27th Jun 2010, 21:48
Just be very clear you will need to be up to shortfield performance for Lundy

speak to the organiser, Pete White on [email protected] for advice

1800ed
28th Jun 2010, 11:32
Yes, I don't think I'll be able to get there in a PA28 or HR200 :(

Bit of a shame as it looks like an interesting one!

akaSylvia
5th Jul 2010, 22:08
I came to the conclusion that with luck and a fair wind, I might be able to land in the PA32 but I would never be able to leave again.

It's still on my list of islands I'd like to fly into, though.

ed12
7th Jul 2010, 12:27
Flew in last year with mate for the Devon strut flyin and stayed the night before. Fantastic place, camped under the wing, Pub;) and beach only a few minutes away, not too many tourists as it's not that accessible, my idea of a perfect weekend away, we are all very lucky to have something like this in the UK and lets not forget it!:)

Now the exciting bit. We took a Cub in, they ground is fairly rough but not as bad a some would have you believe but its no bowling green for sure! The strip is humped with the crest in the centre and numerous undulations, it had been cut for the fly-in but the grass was still fairly long and the cut section narrow, this really helped to define the strip and was a sensible idea for the fly-in. Because of the cliffs there can be a certain amount of turbulence and you do need to be up on you STOL skills, nail the approach speed, no float and land, no problems if you are used to short rough strips, short being less than 300yrds and unprepared, not the 400yrd bowling greens that people think is STOL:rolleyes:.

The vast majority of crates that flew in were vintage taildraggers and microlights for good reason, nose wheels will take a hammering. I did see a 152 on the ground but missed the landing, likewise we had left early so missed the take off, assume they got out alright and were not remotely phased by taking a 152 in, each to their own:\! Looking at the AAIB Lundy has had its fair share of incidents, last two I think were a C172 and RV, thankfully the occupants were ok. If you have any problems or go tech you will have to sort yourself out, hate to point out the obvious but Lundy is effectively a field in the middle of the sea, it's airfield engineering facility is limited!! Also don't forget about the fickle weather, the forecast was excellent when we went and woke up in the morning to a sea fog that covered the whole island:eek: it did clear quite rapidly though. My advice is so long as you have the skill and right aircraft go for it, it's a fantastic experience and plenty of fun, just don't sulk if it goes wrong!:ok:

Romeo Tango
16th Jul 2010, 16:04
I have been into Lundy without problem many times over the last 20+ years in my Robin Aiglon. It is only 400 meters but it's also usually windy!

robin
16th Jul 2010, 19:29
Wasn't on my last visit. Light winds on arrival and, on departure, low cloud and drizzle.

Just be aware that being where it is, the weather can change rapidly and you have a 17 mile water crossing to deal with.

QDMQDMQDM
19th Jul 2010, 21:37
I've been there several times this year so far in the Cub. It's fine, but it is a bit bumpy. FWIW I walked the strip a couple of weeks ago and thought the Southern side was a bit less bumpy than the Northern side, especially around the middle, but be careful not to bash your wing on the white post!

peter272
21st Jul 2010, 10:45
Have a look on the Devon Strut airfields page for views of the approach

Devon Strut (http://www.devonstrut.co.uk)

High Winger
21st Jul 2010, 12:11
Before visiting Lundy make sure you obtain an accurate brief on the condition of the runway. I flew there a couple of years ago in a 172 after having been advised the grass "had recently been cut".

The grass was, in fact very long and if it hadn't been for a 30knot westerly we would have spent the rest of the day mowing the strip, assuming we could have borrowed a mower from the N.T. on a Sunday!

Even with a strong wind there was very little runway ahjead when we clawed into the air. Once airborne the updraft from the cliffs gave us a very rapid climb.

I have a lot of grass strip experience and would love to go again because it's a very interesting island to visit but I would need to be assured that the runway was dry with short grass to provide an adequate safety margin. Definitely a strip for pilots with adequate short field experience.