PDA

View Full Version : I-phone for gps navigation

RansS9
27th Jun 2010, 10:26
Does anyone have any knowledge about the possibility of using an I-phone for gps navigation. I notice that Memory Map now have an "app" (whatever the hell that is ?!) for CAA maps.

Tim

Shunter
27th Jun 2010, 13:35
App = Application.

Sure, it'll work but don't stake your life on it. The GPS lock acquisition speed on the 3G/3GS can be fairly slow and GPS doesn't work with the phone in Airplane Mode. It's aGPS (assisted) aswell, meaning it uses 3G triangulation to speed up the initial lock speed. You'd have to mount it somewhere far enough away from radio/headset to prevent it pipping in your ear.

For anything approaching acceptable lock speed for airborne use, you'd really want to use an iPhone 4 or iPad (the latter is quite good with a Brodit mount kit, particularly with an anti-glare screen cover). However, also worth noting that all it does is show you where you are on a map, it doesn't know where any of the airfields are etc...

Time Traveller
27th Jun 2010, 16:24
Its pretty useless if it wont work with the phone receiver turned off - However, most GPS phones work fine with it off, just a bit slower to acquire. I know my Toshiba (Windows) phone works very well in the air using flying software.

I have never seen the point in buying expensive CAA map software - all the airspace, terrain, waypoints etc data is out there for free. Try .Worldwide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange: Airspace (http://soaringweb.org/Airspace/HomePage.html). Even the software is free in many cases eg XCSoar - more of a gliding program, but fine for power. However, most of the stuff is for Windows.