PDA

View Full Version : Filing a flightplan over the phone

Jumbo744
27th Jun 2010, 04:14
Hello,

quick question: for all of you guys that file flightplans themselves for their flights, do you actually fill in the flightplan form and then read it over the phone, or do you just call and give information in a logical flow?

I want to know because something interesting just happened to me with someone from Quebec FIC.

Is it a requirement to have that form actually filled and read it in the sequence it is shown?

Thanks....

whistlerboy02
27th Jun 2010, 08:54
Just a logical order. I never have the form filed out and in my hand.... unless its a flight test.
I think i know where your question is heading... should have thanked him for a "great brief" and called up London FSS and filed with them. those guys/girls are great

Jumbo744
27th Jun 2010, 17:03
thanks for your reply. lol yes i think you understand what happened to me:

I was going into a logical flow as I am used to like: "vfr flight plan from YHU to YQB, C172 GVHE...." he stopped me and said in a very impolite tone "hey you are not following the form sequence??", I'm like "form sequence?" and he said "go get one". whoa! I was shocked, and at that point I didn't know if it was a requirement or not, I thought it was one, so I felt like I had done a mistake and went to get one. I wish I knew, I would have put this guy in his place.

Oh and then, before I even ask for a weather briefing, he said :"Sir have you checked the weather???", I said "yes 2 hours ago before I leave the house and by the way can you tell me how it is now?", "well how did you check the weather? did you talk to me?? there is rain on your route!!"

Rain had started over YRQ, I was surprised, and this guy was talking as if I was lying and hadn't checked the weather.

I cancelled the flight even though all I should have done is fly on the north side of the river, I would have been fine, but I was very influenced and destabilised by his method. Weather in YHU, YUL, YMX, YQB was good. The rain stopped 2 hours later...

I'm going to try to track him and file a complaint.

Bushed
28th Jun 2010, 15:34
You don't have to have the paper flight plan filled out to read off to him. He's just asking and expecting you to deliver your plan in the proper sequence since he is entering the info electronically, and just tabbing from one box to the next. Just take a few minutes to memorize the correct order, or use a blank form as your guide. Not asking too much really, is it?

altiplano
30th Jun 2010, 16:50
Look on the back of the CFS. It is all listed in order there...