PDA

View Full Version : nice place for lunch in south east please

whatnameso
25th Jun 2010, 23:29
Hello all!

Just a quick question as I tried looking for the previous thread of nice pubs located near airfields but couldn't find it!

I recently just got my PPL and am based at stapleford and was hoping to fly a passenger somewhere nice for a birthday lunch, as well as them enjoying their first light aircraft flight!

So I'm looking for a recommendation of somewhere not too far from stapleford to fly too, maybe near the coast, that there is either a good place on site for lunch or somewhere within walking distance (or a beach within walking distance) and that won't prove too expensive fees wise or more importantly :confused: too challenging :sad: landing wise for a low hours PPL?

Thanks in advance :)

Talkdownman
25th Jun 2010, 23:46
Bembridge, ten quid, then walk east to the lifeboat station where the 'Lifeboat' (licensed) cafe on the beach has first class fresh seafood. A hidden treasure.

Fuji Abound
26th Jun 2010, 07:42
Shoreham the Pad you will see it as you cross the a27 on the 20 approach walk along the air port entrance road north bound or along the river tow path about 10 minutes

FleetFlyer
26th Jun 2010, 08:21
White Waltham.
The club house is probably the best in the country with a great atmosphere and good food and good bar. Much better than the shacks that most clubs have. Also you can sit on the lawn out front and watch the interesting historic and aerobatic types getting taken out.

Having said that, I also reccomend Bembridge and walking to the pub and the beach from there.

DBChopper
26th Jun 2010, 14:35
A nice cafe/restaurant at the airport itself, or a 20min walk into the town to sit in the pubs alongside the River Adur or to the beach. :ok:

Some stunning coastal views of Brighton if you plan your approach / departure too.

ChampChump
27th Jun 2010, 09:26
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/413679-best-grass-airstrips-pubs-nearby.html

Not sure why this seemed to have vanished.

Zulu Alpha
27th Jun 2010, 11:47
Cromer,

Pub nearby or a £5 taxi into town for seafood and a walk on the pier.

Sir George Cayley
27th Jun 2010, 20:41
Gatwick has several eateries and fine dining opportunities and nice big runway for the less experienced to throw themselves at.:ok:

SGC

bern444
27th Jun 2010, 21:06
I shall sample the eateries as I pass through in a couple of weeks. I believe the Kentucky Fried Chicken is particularly exquisite.

B

Capetonian
27th Jun 2010, 21:48
There are some good places to eat not far from Gatwick. The Half Moon in Ifield, the Gate in Rusper, the restaurant at Ifield Court Hotel, The Crown at Turners Hill. None are sophisticated but all are pleasant, good food, and good atmosphere.

Molesworth 1
27th Jun 2010, 22:01
Maypole has a nice pub across the road in idyllic rural surroundings. Mind you don't frighten the horses when you land and take off!

Elstree has a good restaurant and Fairoaks a good cafe.

Don't go to Panshanger - it's for members only. It's receiving a scathing attack right now over in the Flyer forums.

moona
28th Jun 2010, 08:06
Headcorn,

Then a short taxi / long walk to the Smarden Bell for an excellent lunch.