PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Beginner

SLF@LBA
23rd Jun 2001, 23:03
Some basic advice needed:

I would like to learn to fly - approx. how much will this cost and how long will it take? (I appreciate that this is like asking how long is a piece of string!). I live in West Yorkshire - any pointers to good flying school much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yogi-Bear
24th Jun 2001, 01:48
Yes, a long piece of string. Best to get hold of something like Pilot magazine's "Learn to/Where to fly guide 2001", details from their website: www.pilotweb.co.uk (http://www.pilotweb.co.uk) :) :)

Kermit 180
24th Jun 2001, 09:45
Take time to visit as many local schools as you can. Talk to pilots at these schools, and ask instructors as much as you want to know. Most schools have a clear and concise prospectus that outlins the requirements and approximate costs for learning to fly. Consider things such as time to get to the airfield from home, the atmosphere of the school, the size of the fleet, the number available of the type of trainer you want to learn in, and the pass rate of that school for exams and flight tests. All the best in your endeavours.

[This message has been edited by Kermit 180 (edited 24 June 2001).]

Evo7
24th Jun 2001, 12:16
Only thing that I'd add is that, IMHO, I wouldn't go too far to fly - nothing like fighting through 30 miles of traffic to put you off your lessons, unless you've got enough spare time to go early and have lunch or watch them go by for a while first.

How long? Well, my neighbour did it in 3 weeks in Florida, so you can do it damn quick. I started this year, and I'm hoping to fly solo before the end of the summer (I've got a PhD Thesis to write up in the meantime, so I'm taking it pretty slowly http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif ) and hopefully get the hours/cross-country stuff done next summer. I guess that's the other extreme, but I'm not really in much of a hurry.

Oh, and go for it. :) :) :)

SLF@LBA
24th Jun 2001, 13:49
Many thanks to all for their advice and encouragement.

Following the suggested links, my two local schools at LBA are Leeds Flying School and Multiflight - both have similar (ish) rates - looks like around £4200 on a 152 or £4900 on a 172, though this is the minimum based on 45 hours + exams (extra) etc. Has anyone any experience of these?

Time for some serious thinking!

Thanks again for all your help.

Final 3 Greens
25th Jun 2001, 10:40
SLF

You might have a look at Sherburn in ELmet before making your mind up.

LBA - you learn at a controlled airfield, with excellent r/t required ... no worries about going to a larger field when you have your PPL.

Sherburn - you learn on short grass runways, learn to handle the a/c in a tight circuit.

Pros and cons, but have a look anyway.

Can't comment on the schools you mention at LBA (haven't lived in the area for years), but the course fees look realistic (maybe a little low)

Best of luck with the PPL.

SLF@LBA
25th Jun 2001, 18:48
Thanks for the further advice - Sherburn seem to be about £10 - £15 an hour cheaper than the two LBA based operations, but would add a couple of hours travelling time (and cost).

Time to pay the schools a visit methinks.

Thanks again.

HighRoller
25th Jun 2001, 21:50
Come learn in Canada! We have open spaces,lots of planes and cheap rent. No user fees added on to your daily rentals.
You can fly in just about every type of
weather conditions on earth right here.

------------------
HighRoller

Todge
26th Jun 2001, 17:13
SLF@LBA,

I live very close to LBA and was faced with the same problem.
I had a lesson at LFS and did not like the aircraft or the fact it was a busy airfield with the chance of spinning you whilst bringing in an airliner at a cost to yourself of approx £2.00 per minute.
I wanted a aerodrome with plenty of R/T practice, hard runways, not too much traffic but enough to not worry me when I passed and meet busy situations but with limited airliner traffic. You don't mention how far into west yorkshire you are but I live about 18 miles from LBA and I drive every sunday to Blackpool and have a damn good time. Its perfect for me. Different situations please different people and you've had the best advice. Go and visit schools to find out what you like but dont be scared of going that extra few miles.

batemanisbad4u
26th Jun 2001, 19:45
SLF@LBA, all very good advice, would add that time spent waiting for that 737 or two to land keeping you at the hold will do you no good at all when you feel a bit down (and you wil at times). The answer is, to try to get an in between field one with plenty of "good" RT but not so busy you get to know every bit of tarmac during your ppl, not easy I know but such places do exist....with a bit of luck within travelling distance for you, best wishes....you can do it!!!!!