PDA

View Full Version : start my career-want a good begginng-advise

chen12
25th Jun 2010, 13:02
hi
i am from israel and in israel as you know thw subject of beoming a pilot is not so succeefuel
so i think about the option to move myself to canada
and here is my question:how can i start my career easily?i think on the school toronto airways or antoher school
how is this school?to i have to take a test in order to be a student there?
how can i get a job after finishin the whole learning?is it easy to get a canadian citizen?
thanx and have a good day
hope to get an answer
good shabat
chen

chen12
25th Jun 2010, 17:36
hello?anyone?

dragstar
25th Jun 2010, 17:46
dude, just search the forum a lil and you'll find lots of threads answering most of your questions.
to get you started you just need to clear the medical to start flying in north america. there is no other exam or anything else.
I doubt if anyone on this forum can clearly tell you about job prospects. you'll figure this one out reading through the forum on your own.
good luck.

chen12
26th Jun 2010, 00:54
ok i will look...but can someone tell me ahts the best way to be a pilot there?

tbaylx
26th Jun 2010, 03:51
Sure it's easy. Show up with your money, pay the 200$/hour or so to rent whatever aircraft you need and fly for 180 hours or so and get your CPL with an IFR rating. It's all about $$.

You can't work in Canada unless you have permanent residency or citizenship.

chen12
26th Jun 2010, 09:28
what is a peramanent recidency?
i know the way is hard but can i do it?
i mean to come to school and start learn from the private pilot licnce and make hours and continue to antohet licnces?
and more thing is that i am from israel so here in israel the aviation is not so good thats why i think to move myself there
what do you think about hravest collegue in canada?

superdunkaroos
27th Jun 2010, 03:27
hey man

-find yourself a good school
-some schools offer a diploma along with your license, this will be an added benefit
-get your cpl+me+ifr then find ways to build up hours before you go apply to fly bigger airlines

best of luck

chen12
27th Jun 2010, 07:11
ok
but will i find a job in a big airline?or is that hard to fine a jon in canada?

surveytheworld
27th Jun 2010, 18:06
In Canada, you won't get a job with a bigger airline until you have 1500-2000 hours MINIMUM, and that's if you're lucky. Most pilots build time after they get their Commercial Multi-IFR as flight instructors or they move away from civilization and find a job starting in the right seat of a Caravan or a Navajo. The pay isn't that great, the hours are long, and it's not just flying you're doing... loading, fuelling, working ramp, etc etc and you're living in the middle of nowhere. It will be tough and there will be no one to hold your hand as you go through it. Right now, as it has been for the last couple of years, even those jobs can be tricky to find. There are many Canadian pilots looking for work.

Your best bet is to call a place like Moncton Flight College and speak to someone there - they have experience with foreign students and can probably give you better information on the Student Visa process than you can find on these boards. And, as has been mentioned above, you need the right to work in Canada before you can actually WORK.

Google is your friend - here are some links to get you started.
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp)
Canada Immigration FAQ - Find Answers to Your Canada Immigration Questions (http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-immigration-faq.html)

chen12
29th Jun 2010, 08:23
so when i fisnish to learn in collegue can i get a work permit?do i have to start it during my learning?

altiplano
30th Jun 2010, 16:38
It is a long and difficult process to become a resident or citizen here. But it can be done with a lot of groundwork and time... years... You will not work here without that.

Odds are against anyone finding a job here. I would suggest that 7 out of 10 people that get a CPL drop out of the industry before getting too far into it due to the long road that it is. You will likely start out working on the ground, hoping for a spot in the right seat of something or maybe as a flight instructor if you want to shell out the extra cash... to find a job as a bare CPL 200hours flying anything is rare - let alone an airline job...

I had over 3000 hours and a pile of PIC in medium turboprops before I managed an airline interview after 8 years fighting through the industry...

Of course there are a few who with 1000 - 1500 hours get a call from Jazz or another regional operator, but they are exceptions.

Good luck with whatever you do but be prepared to stick with it and nearly ruin yourself getting there or just outright give-up if you don't find some luck... sad but true state of the industry here for new pilots....

flying free.LEVC
1st Jul 2010, 21:11
Hi¡ I am a spanish guy and Im also interested about going to Canada to find a job, here in Spain it´s bieng and going to be dark for pilots for many many years...

I have been reading information in this forum and also in www.avcanada.ca (http://www.avcanada.ca) for months, and even in Canada the situation to find a flying job looks very difficult.

If I am wrong please tell me, but in 2007, just 3 years ago, all was really different, with many job offers for the called "200 wonders", right canadians¿?

Canadians, how long do you think it will take until coming back to the "good seasons" as 2007? A couple of years¿?

The process for flying an airplane with a salary is long, and after getting the work permit, probably you will have to become a "rampie", I mean working in the ramp or in the dock for some time, between 4-6 months until 1 or 2 years, I guess it depends of the demands of pilots.

The steps might be:

1. Getting canadian license CAA
2. Getting the permanent/temporary work permit
3. Working the ramp/ the dock
4. Start flying an airplane probably older than me far from civilization, near Qikiqtarjuaq :}

Correct me if I am wrong.:D

chen12
2nd Jul 2010, 22:07
altiplaon,where do you work in order do get the 3000 flight hours?
so what do you recommend me to do?wheather to do my career as ap ilot in israel or wheather to move myself to canada and try to get a jon with alot of ground work on the citizen?

+TSRA
30th Jul 2010, 22:46
If you remember this was this small little blip in the world markets - some call it a recession, others a depression. Whatever you call it, it hit the industry such that times were good for pilots on 1 September and by the 15th we were back into the 80's - world wide, not just Canada.

It will take a long time (7 yrs+) for the industry to get to the point where 200 hour pilots have the run of the mill with jobs - if ever again.

Most companies (well, mine at least) have found the sweet tooth of profit since the recession and this is mainly due to the cutbacks they made finally kicking in and generating positive revenue again - because of this, the people running the airlines will be hard pressed to see a reason to hire on hundreds of low time pilots when there is an ex type rated person just waiting to get a job back.

Also, now that a certain airline will be allowing guys and gals to fly longer, the big wave of pilots leaving the airlines is now delayed by at least another 5 years - which is where most of the hiring was coming from in the last couple of years anyways.

But if youre a persistent maschocist than come on in!

nortont
1st Aug 2010, 02:18
Don't do it for the money.....

altiplano
2nd Aug 2010, 02:12
Don't do it for the money.....

Than what are you doing it for? It's a farking job for crissakes. If you manage also to feel rewarded in your selected profession that is great, but doing while trying to extract maximum financial benefit.

altiplaon,where do you work in order do get the 3000 flight hours?
so what do you recommend me to do?wheather to do my career as ap ilot in israel or wheather to move myself to canada and try to get a jon with alot of ground work on the citizen?

you work anywhere that will hire you at first. As you develop experience you progress, instructing/ramping/northern bush/right-seat bag-run are all starting points and you try to improve your pay/lifestyle/equipment/stability from there.

What you do is your decision, no one told me what to do. Going to the airlines can be a long road to navigate for many... and as I said earlier most wannabes never find the right road let alone get out of park... but if it is what you want - you can never know if it will work out, only do your best.