PDA

View Full Version : Lunchaway in France

capt waffoo
28th Mar 2002, 20:57
Any tips on nearby destinations in France (Or Belgium I suppose) which offer an opportunity to get a decent meal nearby. I'm trying to avoid the rip-off style of Le Touquet which is far too close to the UK model for my taste?

Wrong Stuff
28th Mar 2002, 22:16
Can't give any recommendations, but I bookmarked <a href="http://www.pilotlist.org/restaus/resto.htm" target="_blank">pilotlist.org</a> for future reference for myself.

eyeinthesky
29th Mar 2002, 01:32
Go to Deauville and get a taxi into Honfleur (about £15 each way). Old mediaeval port with genuine french restaurants and a small supermarche for the wine to bring home.

CBG
29th Mar 2002, 21:17
Or fly to Deauville, clear customs and fly down to Bernay (15 minutes south east from deauville). We have a couple of nice 'n cheap restaurants - I recommend the "andouillette aux pommes" We are also planning the first flight of our Tiger Moth this year, after all sorts of repairs over the winter. Watch out for the CAP 10 doing crazy things in the overhead 9the pilot won't be having the andouilletes aux pommes!)

CBG
29th Mar 2002, 21:21
I got another idea - go to Saint Valery. It's half way between le Touquet and Deauville. Nice restaurant there too. I am actually flying "up there" for lunch tomorrow.. .. .The hard runway is disused (it does have the big white crosses all over). .. .The fun thing on this airfield is that you can choose to taxi all the way to the club house - after actualy taxying across a road! look right first and then left.

A and C
1st Apr 2002, 12:47
I to would recomend dieppe.

BEagle
1st Apr 2002, 13:53
Abbeville has a nice aerodrome eatery - nothing exotic but clean, friendly and well-priced.

I don't know where you'd be flying from, but I used to do an 'experience building' flight for those who wanted something different. Route down to the Sarrf Coast west of the London TMA, over the channel and land at Abbeville for lunch. Then route via Dieppe, east of the TMA and land at Stapleford for a cuppa and perhaps some fuel - not just to spot all the Essex girls and the 'diamond geezers wiv' wads'! Then back on the Lambourne to Bovingdon 2300' rat-run north of the TMA and back home.

The flight was a good intro to cross-channel requirements, French customs, GPS-assisted VFR navigation, radio aids work, grass aerodromes and busy airspace. A good summer outing!

capt waffoo
1st Apr 2002, 14:34
Great stuff guys, thanks.

St Valery though, no customs I assume, confirm you have to pass immigration elsewhere, ie Le Toquet or similar & can't go UK direct?

Keef
1st Apr 2002, 18:54
Beware Customs!

Abbeville doesn't have any. In fact, when I've been to Abbeville, there's been nobody about at all - just a notice to put the landing fee in the box before you go.

If you are unlucky, you will be accosted by French "Flying Customs" and have your aircraft impounded, unless you'd notified the relevant authority in advance (usually 24 hours ahead). Don't make the mistake of assuming that the EEC means "no customs needed".

Abbeville is a delightful town - I'd always walk into town, myself.

Mind you, I like Deaville, Trouville, Honfleur, Reims Prunay, and even Calais and Le Touquet.

CBG
2nd Apr 2002, 10:28
Customs

Yes, you do have to clear customs in Le Touquet or Deauville first.

Dieppe is good too, but beware: Hard runway, grass taxiway.... where I got stuck a couple of weeks ago. Had to call in another a/c from Bernay with 3 onboard to get me out. I did not read the b****y NOTAM (nor did the other 5 a/c that go stuck that same week end!

KitKatPacificuk
2nd Apr 2002, 15:49
Fly into Ostende(Belgium) then get a bus and train or a taxi into Brugge. It is an incredible city and if you can stay overnight all the better.

Or if you fancy an Island go to Alderney and walk down to the harbour for lunch. Superb!!

Or Jersey, the guys at the Aeroclub are great and they have a really nice bar looking out onto the treshold.

Have fun!

alphaalpha
2nd Apr 2002, 20:30
If you fancy a night away, try flying to Dinard. Taxi to St Malo and stay & eat in the old town. Great atmosphere outside the main height of the tourist season and excellent choice of restaurants.
Regards.