PDA

View Full Version : Flying with dogs?

121decimal5
20th Jun 2001, 23:27
The flying with kids thread reminded me:

My father and I have been wanting to take his Jack Russel up in a PA-28 for some time, but were not sure if there are any regulations regarding dogs in light aircraft (actually he's worried about her hearing!) anyone know anything about this? Ta!

I see a couple of references to dogs now I look in the kids flying thread but are there any suggestions as to how to control/stop her cr*pping all over the aircraft?

[This message has been edited by 121decimal5 (edited 20 June 2001).]

jabberwok
21st Jun 2001, 00:39
A friend of mine takes his dog everywhere with him. He says the only problem is that it tries to stick it's head out of the window! :)

flybymike
21st Jun 2001, 03:26
I have a poodle with about 400 hours as P2. He leaps inside the aircraft as soon as I open the door and can't wait to get going. During the climb out he barks at the sheep and cows in the fields.( a nuisance when air traffic keeps asking me to "say again") During the cruise he settles down to sleep, and when I reduce power and lower the gear he wakes up and gets ready to give the general population some barking stick during the approach.Several times when taxiing past the tower with the storm window open and the dog leaning out to make sure I don't crash in to anything, air traffic have remarked on his exceptional co piloting abilities. Great fun, I wouldn't be without him. On the other side of the coin though, I have a dalmatian. I wouldn't dream of letting him near the aircraft, never mind inside it . He would be bound to decide to get his chemistry set out whilst on route and come up with some kind of horrendous disaster scenario ( brings a new meaning to the phrase " Give me that stick " ) Horses for courses etc I suppose, but if you think your dog will be ok take it along with you. You will both enjoy it.

loglickychops
21st Jun 2001, 03:54
I tend to find that as a pilot I attrack anything but dogs to the cockpit. You can tell my a/c is a puller and not a pusher!

DOC.400
29th Jun 2001, 00:18
Our old JR (RIP -Fonz lived to 17!) spent many an hour on the back seat between the boys -no problem!

sam_flying
29th Jun 2001, 12:59
I know of a black labrador that wears a little harness and goes with his owner everywhere.

And I have heard stories of a Jack Russell at a gliding club that used to ride in the tugs with his head on the pilots shoulder, he would lean into the turns and was reported to absolutely love every second of it! :)

Sam

DOC.400
29th Jun 2001, 20:46
Spoke to a chap a while ago who had a spaniel and flew out of Welshpool. On return journeys, the dog would sleep, and only wake up and look out of the window with about five miles to run. Apparently, returning in poo weather one day, unable to make out the airfield, the dog woke up and looked out of the window, so our pilot knew he was near home, and sure enough, Welshpool loomed out of the clag!!