PDA

View Full Version : Flown West...Captain Don Simons Air Canada (retired)

Mike Simons
24th Jun 2010, 17:21
Ladies and Gentlemen,

In an effort to reach the significant numbers of collegues my father new and worked with at Air Canada, Skyservice and the military in Canada, and specifically those who work elsewhere in the world, I respectfully submit the following:

It is with profound sadness that we announce the final pushback of

Captain Donald Christian Simons (retired)

peacefully, and surrounded by his family at Milton District Hospital,
June 23, 2010 at 0620
after a hard-fought battle with cancer.

Don began his flying career after emigrating from South Africa and finding a home with the RCAF on bases in Germany and Moose Jaw. Joining Air Canada in 1967, and after flying the DC-8, DC-9, L1011, B747, B727, A-320, B767, and A340, Don eventually retired as the Airbus Standards Captain in 1998. He then committed himself to training both new hires and current pilots at Air Canada and Skyservice Airlines for the next 12 years.

Though Don’s passion was aviation and travel, he was most proud of his family. Don’s rock was his wife of 44 years, Teresa, a well-loved teacher and volunteer. Both eldest sons followed Don’s career path, whilst his daughter found success in the film and television industry as a production coordinator and his youngest son, as an entrepreneur. Between Don and Teresa’s children, they have four wonderful grandchildren who bring much love and joy.

Visitation services will be held on Monday, June 28th, 2010 at McKersie-Kocher Funeral Home at 114 Main Street, Milton, Ontario from 1400 to 1600 and from 1900 to 2100 (www.mckersie-kocher.ca (http://www.mckersie-kocher.ca/)).

Funeral services will be held at Grace Anglican Church at 317 Main Street, Milton, Ontario commencing at 1100 on Tuesday, June 29th, 2010. A gathering of friends and family will follow the service at St. Paul’s United Church Community Hall at 123 Main Street East, Milton, Ontario.

In lieu of flowers, a donation to Don’s favourite charity would be most appreciated:
The Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada
(www.childrenswish.ca (http://www.childrenswish.ca))

Godspeed dad.

a330pilotcanada
25th Jun 2010, 01:52
Good Evening to Simons Family:

It is with profond sadness I read about the passing of Don.

In my career at Air Canada Don was one of the best consuminate professional Captains I had the privilege of working with.

God Speed Don and thank you

J.O.
25th Jun 2010, 09:40
Mike;

I wish to offer my condolences to you and your family. I had the great privelege of working with your dad at Skyservice and I will remember him fondly.

I knew him first as my instructor in the A320 simulator and my first impression of him as a caring professional will stay with me always. I also had the pleasure of flying with him several times out of Leeds in 1999. As a new captain I learned a great deal about the management side of the position from watching him practice his craft. His calm demeanour when facing challenges made it appear that nothing was a challenge to him; it was just another step along the path to a safe and successful flight.

I also spent some social time with your mom and dad and shared their love of food, fine wine and conversation. His passion reached beyond his love for aviation and his stories were always entertaining and educational. The kindness and hospitality that your parents showed to my family leaves them with many fond memories.

As I am working overseas I will be unable to offer my condolences in person next week but I promise to raise a toast to your dad when I get together with several Skyservice colleagues on Canada Day. All of us were priveleged to know him and he will be dearly missed.

Sincerely,

Jeff Oliver