PDA

View Full Version : Small turbine aircraft

oversteer
24th Jun 2010, 08:50
Inspired by this
ocEWmyjWOUM
(loving the great climb rate)

I can see more of these being developed over time and IIRC there are a couple of jet gliders in the UK already.

Currently a self-launched glider with popup piston engine (Solo 2350, etc) is licenced as SLMG, so NPPL/SLMG (maybe PPL/SEP+TMG too?)

How can someone with NPPL/SLMG or JAR PPL fly one of these in the UK?

pipertommy
24th Jun 2010, 08:58
Sounds Great:ok:

Pace
24th Jun 2010, 09:10
Hmmm ??? Not sure about its application as somehow doesnt fit with the "silent flight" idea of a glider :eek: Ok a small jet engine on something like a Cirrus but a long winged glider? Not sure!

Couple of points

Does not appear to be a good idea starting a jet engine with the canopy open. There is a danger that anything in the cockpit lying loose will fly out straight into the engine.

The airflow to the engine will also be restricted! maybe there is a reason for having the canopy open on start up but I cannot think of one?

I noticed the wing had to be held up on takeoff roll and the whole thing looked very unstable initially laterally.

Yes there is a future for baby turbines just not sure about this one.

Pace

oversteer
24th Jun 2010, 09:38
I can see a future for them, especially in turbo form - the drag when deployed must be a lot less than a Solo engine+prop

But yes, they are noisy. Will certainly strain relations with the neighbours at most airfields!

BackPacker
24th Jun 2010, 09:58
Well, if you just use the engine to launch, or to sustain flight when there's no thermals to be found anymore, the idea has merit. Since you're only running the engine for five minutes or so on launch, and perhaps a few more to make it to an airfield at the end of the day, fuel burn, and therefore cost, will not be an issue compared to an avgas piston. So it probably comes down to engine/installation cost and weight/volume.

Will certainly strain relations with the neighbours at most airfields!

I wonder if they can still be launched conventionally (winch or tow). That would limit the noise exposure at the airfield to a great extent.

maybe there is a reason for having the canopy open on start up but I cannot think of one?

All-glass canopy with no shade whatsoever. As soon as you close it it's a greenhouse in there, particularly with no airflow to provide cooling through the vents.

I noticed the wing had to be held up on takeoff roll and the whole thing looked very unstable initially laterally.

This is normal for a glider, particularly a two-seat glider which has its mainwheel almost directly underneath the CofG.

IO540
24th Jun 2010, 10:01
I think he is using one of the model plane engines. They are about £2k and are widely used in models. The Frenchman with the wing strapped to his back used those. I think the thrust is about 200N (20kg).

Pace
24th Jun 2010, 10:46
All-glass canopy with no shade whatsoever. As soon as you close it it's a greenhouse in there, particularly with no airflow to provide cooling through the vents

Backpacker

Lets hope he doesnt leave his RayBans on top of the panel coaming on start or he is likely to loose more than the RayBans :rolleyes:

I take your point on the wing holding but a noisy jet engine in a glider doesnt sit comfortably with me.

I always felt that baby turbines especially turboprops were the way ahead for light GA rather than Diesels.

I know Mooney were having one developed a while back! a low cost equivalent to a 200 to 250 hp Lycoming/continental would have been ideal to retrofit into light singles as well as twins especially now as the cost of AVGAS is so horrendous.

Pace

IO540
24th Jun 2010, 11:28
The efficiency of those model jet engines is somewhere south of below zero :) They are very primitive centrifugal compressor designs.

Torque Tonight
24th Jun 2010, 11:56
All good fun until you melt the tail off!

Just looking at it again: Single jet, high aspect ratio, ground handling like a unicycle on an icerink - Low budget U-2 perhaps?