PDA

View Full Version : PPL theory...

CommanderBlonde
19th Jun 2001, 17:42
I'd just like to know if it's possible to home study for your JAA PPL theory using the packs you can buy through pooleys/transair? Or is a course run by an instructor highly recommended/compulsory?

FNG
19th Jun 2001, 18:02
I believe that most people find that they can prepare adequately through a combination of studying by themselves and discussing things with their flight instructor, although there are ground school courses on offer at flying clubs and through freelancers up and down the country.

In addition to the standard PPL textbooks, it's worth having a look at the PPL Confuser (as an aid to learning rather than as an exam crammer), and also reading more widely around the subject of flying. Good reads include "Stick and Rudder" by Langewische(on how to fly it and especially what makes it turn), "Flight Without Formulae" by Kermode (on what makes it stay up) and "Be a Better Pilot" by some American bloke whose name I have forgotten (on decision making).

Have fun on your PPL course.

Dr Jekyll
19th Jun 2001, 18:03
The JAA PPL exams are embarrassingly easy. Just read through some textbooks (the FAE series are good), then try the questions in the Confuser.

CommanderBlonde
19th Jun 2001, 20:18
Thanks for the help guys!

Also is it possible to take the theory here in England and then do the flying in the States? Is this common practice?

FNG
19th Jun 2001, 20:59
I gather from postings here and elsewhere that it is quite common for people to do some or all of the exams here and then fly in the States. The debate about whether to learn here or in the US has been raging since 17th December 1903 (see pprune, passim, also Flyer, Charlie Alpha etc etc etc etc). The exams are, as has been pointed out, very easy (or at least the old CAA ones were, I don't know if they are harder under JAA). Perhaps the only one for which a bit of flying experience is helpful although not essential is the nav paper.

NB Exams easy, subjects not, hence the
suggestion of reading a bit.

[This message has been edited by FNG (edited 19 June 2001).]