PDA

View Full Version : Im looking into a PPL

HPSC
21st Jun 2010, 19:48
Hi Im 16 an I want to start training for my PPL,I understand what happens in the training process and about ground classes etc. Ive just got a few questions.

Can I just start training or do i have to have some kind of provisional licence first before training commences?
Do i have to do all of my training with one company ?Thanks in advance :ok:

Kolossi
21st Jun 2010, 20:06
Hi HPSC,

You'll get far more knowledgable posts than mine, having a ground total of 1 hour in the logbook so far, but here goes!!!

You don't need any provisional licence, just pay up and go for your first lesson, but if you are going for the "full" PPL as opposed to the NPPL, you will eventually need a CAA Medical before you can pass.

Not REQUIRED to start learning, but best to know beforehand if you've got something that would stop you getting a licence before you spend lots of time and money. Your training school will be able to let you know of a local GP who can do the check for you. If you don't pass the medical don't give up hope for private flying as the NPPL may well still be available to you. :)

Hope that helps, and the very best of luck when you do start. :ok:

codemonkey
21st Jun 2010, 21:01
assuming you´ve identified an airfield where you want to start the PPL training just give them a call and ask if you can spend some time with one of the instructors to clear up some initial questions, they should be happy to help you make the decision to go ahead. this is what i did and i got nearly 2 hours of advice, a tour of the school and a once over of the plane i´d later be flying.

Wibblemonster
23rd Jun 2010, 11:37
As above, get the medical out of the way, if you are only going for a PPL then you will only need a Class 2 Medical, if you intend to go on to fly commercially, then you will need a Class 1, which I believe entails a trip to Gatwick & a £400 odd bill (I'm not 100% on that cost though)

If you are going for the NPPL then you just need a letter from your GP to say you are in good health etc.

You don't need a provisional license to start training, just deep pockets & a will to learn. For me, the flying bit isn't too bad, its the Accademic stuff that I find difficult, I just don't seem to be able to find the time to study!

good luck. :ok:

znww5
23rd Jun 2010, 17:19
As an aside to all of the above, also be careful if you are tempted to pay in advance for blocks of tuition - flying clubs/schools often go bust, taking your money with them. Ideally pay for blocks of tuition with a credit card, that way you can claim your money back from the credit card company if the school goes out of business.

Good luck with your training, I'm sure you will enjoy it :)

stupix
23rd Jun 2010, 17:45
I had a few false starts with training and after testing a few schools, I ended up going over to France to get more value for money, there is an English instructor who teaches at a good class D airport in Limoges and there are british examiners there too. It was a great way to get away from it all and submerse in the training and also see some fabulous countryside and visit some great airfields with good restaurants. It also worked out at about 15% cheaper per hour.
There are many options for training out there, worth checking the options out.
Stu