PDA

View Full Version : Flying VFR from Bournemouth to Jersey this week

spitfire747
21st Jun 2010, 08:49
Hi There
Just looking for some up to date information and procedures for a VFR from Bournemouth to Jersey later this week.
Have got the VFR flightplan and special branch forms completed.
Any info much appreciated
Regards
Spitty :-)

Barcli
21st Jun 2010, 09:39
Hdg 210 deg
EET 50 N; 25 mins
Flight Time: 1 Hr
:):):):):):)

Fuji Abound
21st Jun 2010, 09:59
Have you posted twice.

Anyway if it is routing information you are after there is not a lot to say.

Obvioulsy you need to be aware of the airway between the I of W and the Jersey zone (3,500 feet I recall). Consequently (as you are VFR) you have two options, stay underneath it, or route to the west or east. I see no point making the crossing at 3,000 unless you are prevented by clouds andyour license from getting higher.

If outside the airway I always route down the east side which you can do avoiding the airway and all the danger areas. Jersey zone will expect a call just before 50 north and give you a steer into the zone for Guernsey, or possibly own nav. You may also find they ask you to continue towards the Cap and then give you a steer or own nav so expect one of those combinations. They will give you a squawk so be ready for it.

They are very friendly so if you ask for a route via Alderney for example for a spot of aerial site seeing they will almost always accomodate. I do find they have a tendency to keep you low in the zone (sometimes very low). Again it is worth asking to go higher if clouds etc do not effect.

Cant think of anything else.