PDA

View Full Version : Flying in France

The Nr Fairy
18th Jun 2001, 12:19
No, not a "how do I do it", more a "how they do it in France".

I saw this article in today's Parisien ( newspaper ), rough English translation below. Have a read, compare with the UK flying scene, then comment if you wish.

L'aéro-club souffle ses 70 bougies

AVEC SES 70 PRINTEMPS, l'aéro-club du Beauvaisis est la plus ancienne association aéronautique du département. Pour fêter cet anniversaire, l'aéro-club organisait hier, dimanche, une journée portes ouvertes, de 10 heures à 19 heures. Le club est né en mars 1931 de la rencontre de MM. Prache et Serre, deux anciens pilotes de la guerre 1914-1918, et de Lucien Lainé, industriel bien connu à Beauvais. « A l'époque, l'aéroport n'existait pas encore et ils avaient juste une piste en herbe pour poser leur appareil, un Potez-36, raconte Jean-Pierre Hilly », président d'honneur de l'aéro-club. Le club compte tout de même 915 membres en 1932 et conna't un développement spectaculaire en 1936 avec la création d'une section aviation populaire mise en place en collaboration avec le ministère de l'Air. « Cette section a permis aux moins argentés de pouvoir piloter grâce à des aides de l'Etat. »

En 1939, la guerre éclate et l'aéro-club doit cesser ses activitées. Celles-ci ne reprendront qu'en 1946 sous la direction de Georges Crucifix, qui redonnera un nouvel élan à l'aéro-club. « Georges Crucifix était un sacré personnage, poursuit Jean-Pierre Hilly. Il était à la fois pilote, mécano et un excellent instructeur qui a formé plusieurs générations de pilotes. » Aujourd'hui, l'aéro-club compte une centaine d'adhérents (dont une vingtaine ont moins de 21 ans) effectuant 1 500 heures de vol par an sur les six avions mis à leur disposition. Différentes formations sont proposées, dont le brevet d'initiation à l'aéronautique (BIA) mis en place l'an dernier et destiné aux jeunes lycéens. « Nous avons créé cette formation en collaboration avec le lycée Félix-Faure, explique Marc Gyr, chargé de l'encadrement du BIA. L'objectif est de permettre à des jeunes de découvrir le pilotage en suivant quarante heures de cours théorique avec une heure de vol où il pourra prendre le manche. A l'issue de cette initiation, si l'élève est intéressé, il peut passer le brevet de base. Cette formation d'une vingtaine d'heures de pilotage permet de piloter un avion dès l'âge de 16 ans dans un rayon de 30 kilomètres autour de l'aéroport. » Pour passer le brevet de base, il faut compter entre 9 000 F et 12 000 F (1 372 et 1 829 € ;) pour les moins de 21 ans et 15 000 F (2 286 € ;) pour les plus de 21 ans.

Renseignements au 03.44.48.04.43. et sur le site Internet : www.aero-clubdubeauvaisis.fr (http://www.aero-clubdubeauvaisis.fr)

-------------------------
Flying club blows out 70 candles.

At 70 years old, the Beauvaisis is the oldest aeronautical organisation in the departement. To celebrate this anniversary, the club organised an open day yesterday, Sunday, from 10am to 7pm. The club was started in March 1931 by MM Prache and Serre, former First World War pilots, and Lucien Laine, a well known Beauvais industrialist. "At the time, the airport didn't exist and they had only a grass runway to land their aircraft, a Potez 36", says Jean-Pierre Hilly, honorary president of the aero club. All the same, the club had 915 members in 1932 and saw a spectacular development in 1936 with the creation of a popular aviation section, put in place in collaboration with the Ministry of the Air. "This section allowed less affluent people to fly, thanks to state aid".

In 1939 war broke out and the aero club had to cease activities. Only in 1946 did things start again under the direction of Georges Crucifix, who gave the aero club a new lease of life. "Georges Crucifix was a revered person" continues Jean-Pierre Hilly. "He was a pilot and mechanic, and also an excellent instructor who trained several generations of pilots". Today, the aero club has about 100 members ( of whom twenty or so are aged 21 or under ) flying 1500 hours each year in the 6 club aircraft. Different training courses are available, of which the "brevet of initiation to aeronautics ( BIA )" was put in place last year and aimed at older school children. " We created this course in collaboration with lycee Felix-Faure" explains Marc Gyr, charged with running the BIA. "The aim is to allow youngsters to find out about flying, by undergoing a 40 hour theoretical course with one hour's flying where they get to handle the controls. At the end of this initation, if the pupil is interested, they can follow on with the "brevet de base". This consists of a 20 hour flying course which allows a 16 year old to fly solo in a radius of 30km from the airport". TYo pass the brevet, under 21s must budget between FF9000 and FF12000 ( roughly GBP900 - GBP1200 ) and up to FF15000 for over 21s.

Information on +33 3 44 48 04 43 and on the club's web site, www.aeroclubdubeavaisis.fr (http://www.aeroclubdubeavaisis.fr)

------------------
For the last bloody time, it's "The En Ar Fairy" . . .

Aussie Andy
18th Jun 2001, 16:01
Fantastic! I think I will be suggesting to my club that we put some arrangements in place with a local school along these lines - I wonder if there is some reason why we can't?

Andy

The Nr Fairy
18th Jun 2001, 16:05
Andy :

I suspect a) lack of money and b) lack of active support in government for similar schemes here in the UK.

The French are renowned for the level of support for GA - the difference between GA in the UK and as shown in this article is one such differentiator.

------------------
For the last bloody time, it's "The En Ar Fairy" . . .

AMEX
21st Jun 2001, 06:27
The Nr Fairy, I would get rid of soltution b.
Somehow France support GA (we don't realise how much until living abroad).
Flying gliders cost about £11 to £15 per hour plus 15p per towing minute.
Hiring a light single would be (sorry haven't done it for a while) about £80 for something decent (DR400-120HP).
Landing fees: 10 to 20 FF
Cheap and great fun with lots of aerodromes to go to.
Tip: no need to book in or out, as it simply doesn't exist but remember that between 12 and 2 pm, the aerodrome (Fuel) is closed.

Have fun :) :) http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/MiscDancfrog.gif