PDA

View Full Version : Non -radio PPL ?

airsmiles
17th Jun 2001, 22:30
This may seem a daft question, but please reply sensibly!

Is it still possible for an indiviual to fly a light a/c in the UK without a requirement to use a radio?

My situation is that I am desperate to be in the air but I am profoundly deaf. (I only have 40% hearing in one ear). I hold down a senior management position in an aviation related company and generally get by relatively well in normal day to day situations with the help of my hearing aid. I am not sure though that I could cope with using headphones and my hearing aid together, and/or understanding relatively fast voice transmissions over the radio. Is there any chance that I could obtain a PPL and fly solo with my medical condition?

Any help on how I can participate more fully with ANY flying activity would be of enormous help and would mitigate my current feeling of utter frustration. I did benefit from a B757 jump-seat in Feb. but I cannot really expect such favours in the future. Are there any others in the same position in the PPRuNe fraternity?

Noggin
17th Jun 2001, 23:45
Yes you can fly non radio however, it raises another more important issue of whether you can obtain a medical certificate.

Unfortunately training for either a fixed wing or helicopter PPL requires you to use, and assesses your use of radio as part of the training.

One avenue you may wish to persue is microlight flying where the medical would be no problem and training does not require radio.

Kermit 180
18th Jun 2001, 03:44
Air Smiles, don't fret my friend. I instructed a guy a few months ago in a C180 who had hearing aids in both ears. Whilst your medical standards are probably different to those where I am (NZ), there is usually no problem with people flying dual or with a safety pilot. Interestingly, this guy was holding a medical. The only restriction on this guy's medical (apart from wearing the hearing aids), was that all electronic devices apart from the radio and transponder had to be switched off.