PDA

View Full Version : Best GPS for GA

terryp
20th Jun 2010, 18:24
Hi Everyone,

I am considering purchasing a portable GPS and was looking for some advice as to which one gets your recommendations for GA use? Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? I have looked at the Garmin Aera, Garmin 495 and the Bendix AV80, but they all look pretty much the same though quite different prices.:ugh:

Any help is very much appreciated! :)

liam548
20th Jun 2010, 19:19
Ive got the Clarity and am happy with it.

I presume you are only looking to use it VFR?

terryp
20th Jun 2010, 19:22
Hi Liam, yes just looking to use it VFR. thanks

chris-h
20th Jun 2010, 19:58
I paid 600 for the Clarity wich is basicly a moving map with airspace warnings, I was really happy with it when i first got it but kind of wish i bought a more expensive Garmin now instead.

chris

Alan_D
20th Jun 2010, 20:03
Another vote for the Airbox Clarity here :)

742-xx
20th Jun 2010, 20:06
Garmin Aera 500 does it for me.

Andy_20
20th Jun 2010, 21:07
Keep it cheap and cheerful, I've got the Aware from NATS, basically a cheaper Version of the clarity! Only £250. Job done

liam548
20th Jun 2010, 21:22
I paid 600 for the Clarity wich is basicly a moving map with airspace warnings, I was really happy with it when i first got it but kind of wish i bought a more expensive Garmin now instead.

chris

why the change of view Chris?

chris-h
21st Jun 2010, 00:05
Why the change of view?

I seen a Garmin 500 in action,
The Breadcrumb trail.. The Nearest VOR, Nearest airfield.. Frequency List
and whatever else is way better. Even the unit itself seems decent compared to the Clarity.

I do like the Claritys maps, Airspace warnings and charger tho..
Inflight charging for the Garmin seems like a messy pain in the arse

chris

screetch
21st Jun 2010, 06:17
does the garmin aera also have air space warnings?

You should also consider that for clarity and aware you only get UK maps. I havent seen any for Ireland or the rest of europe.
However If you do fly to unknown locations that is where the gps will help you most. You wont need it in the local area around your home airfield

liam548
21st Jun 2010, 06:50
Why the change of view?

I seen a Garmin 500 in action,
The Breadcrumb trail.. The Nearest VOR, Nearest airfield.. Frequency List
and whatever else is way better. Even the unit itself seems decent compared to the Clarity.

I do like the Claritys maps, Airspace warnings and charger tho..
Inflight charging for the Garmin seems like a messy pain in the arse

chris

Nearest airfield would be good IMO. I think the clarity is very much work in progress and new features are likely to be added, NOTAMS etc were suppose be able to be downloaded to the device.

whirlwind
21st Jun 2010, 06:55
Clarity gets my vote.

What hasn't been mentioned is the fantastic after sales support. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Also - a British company is behind it all.

WW

lordhedges
21st Jun 2010, 08:37
breadcrumbs, nearest airfield/VOR etc is all in the development program - the weather/NOTAMS for the system are due in the next two weeks, available as a download via Fastplan. also new graphics engine for the system allowing fasting map panning etc . will be ready for the next release.

screetch
21st Jun 2010, 09:21
but what about availibility of more european maps for the clarity?

Next week is the aeroExpo in Wycombe. Best chance to try out the different navs

lordhedges
21st Jun 2010, 09:44
Airbox have full European charting for the Clarity /Foresight - Aware is UK only at present...

jonburf
21st Jun 2010, 12:00
Get a Garmin 196. Has never let me down. comes with all the mounts you could need and since b&W screen AA batteries last forever.

Great Product. Great company. I have been using garmin for a wide range of things all my life and I have never had any problems.

screetch
21st Jun 2010, 12:10
right there are other countries available but for £99 per country. So when flying from Uk to Germany might work out very expensive as you need Uk plus at least 2 additional countries. This is £600 for the clarity plus 2x £99 for the maps. Not very compatitive - however I do like the function of the clarity as it is plane and gives you all you really need

liam548
21st Jun 2010, 12:36
breadcrumbs, nearest airfield/VOR etc is all in the development program - the weather/NOTAMS for the system are due in the next two weeks, available as a download via Fastplan. also new graphics engine for the system allowing fasting map panning etc . will be ready for the next release.

sounds excellent this.

Hopefully my view route in google earth will work on the next release. Id like to be able to downlaod my routes and view them after the flight, presume this is the breadcrumbs function.

The graphics engine, is that for ther actual device? i.e will it make the devbice run smooter/faster?

Thanks

Liam

lordhedges
21st Jun 2010, 12:53
yes - google earth view will work, and you will be able to view your logged flights on the fastplan software. the graphics engine applies to both the desktop planner and the devices themselves. I've seen quite a considerable improvement both in map panning and also map switching eg 1:500,000 to 1:250,000 which is now almost instantaneous.

With regard to European maps, the Jepp maps that Airbox supply can be pricey although they are working on some quite nice alternatives which should be available in August/early September.

Oh and like the Aware systems, all UK airspace definitions are available via download on a mnothly basis for free. It is likely this will be extended into Europe.

XXPLOD
21st Jun 2010, 13:14
I've had a Clarity for about a year. Very pleased overall. Battery life is a little short, realistically 1.5 hours but you can charge it on the go. I've called in to see the company to get my software updated and they are genuinely decent people and always willing to help you out which counts for a lot in my book.

liam548
21st Jun 2010, 14:37
yes - google earth view will work, and you will be able to view your logged flights on the fastplan software. the graphics engine applies to both the desktop planner and the devices themselves. I've seen quite a considerable improvement both in map panning and also map switching eg 1:500,000 to 1:250,000 which is now almost instantaneous.

With regard to European maps, the Jepp maps that Airbox supply can be pricey although they are working on some quite nice alternatives which should be available in August/early September.

Oh and like the Aware systems, all UK airspace definitions are available via download on a mnothly basis for free. It is likely this will be extended into Europe.

Looking forward to the updates then.

I think being able to view your routes in google earth wiould be good as well as fastplan itself, a bit like the GoFlying website offers for your gps files from other GPS devices.

liam548
2nd Jul 2010, 22:16
New airbox fastplan now offers Notams and Weather downloaded to your device.

Does anyone know if this is the same for the Aware products?

There looks to be a charge to it though see:-

CHARTS AND SUBSCRIPTIONS | AIRBOX (http://www.airboxaero.com/products/subscriptions/)

screetch
3rd Jul 2010, 00:15
why not try skydemon? the device the aware runs on costs about 35 on ebay and with skydemon you get custom taylored nav functions aswell? anybody here using this software?

Bigglesthefrog
22nd Jul 2010, 16:48
You're dead right Screetch!
I bought a 5" touch screen GPS navigator from Hong Kong on Ebay for £46 + Postage. After a bit of fiddling about with it and then buying and loading SkyDemon Mobile (The in-flight navigator part of the package) I was able to load a flight plan and fly the route with no problem at all. Notams, weather TAFS and METAR load into the unit when you plug it into an Internet connected laptop or PC. Airspace warnings come up when you go anywhere near controlled airspace. Airfield information and lots of other stuff is a click away and maps for foreign navigation are there to download when you want them for no extra dosh.
For less than £150 I have got a great GPS navigator for my plane that is very well supported by the SkyDemon team and couldn't be easier to use.And when I get back in the car, I can change the memory card over and I've got a road navigator.
I don't doubt that the other GPS products are very good, but £500, £600 or more for (in some cases) less than my SkyDemon unit can do.... Phew!!:confused:
I've also just heard that SkyDemon will be bringing out their software on their own hardware devices very soon and I would therefore recommend that when they do, anyone looking for a GPS give it a try.

panther618
11th Sep 2010, 14:22
Ive read about garmin 500 and clarity, but i fly a stampe and need one to strap on my knee, needs to be clear and bright and pick up a signal from my knee, any ideas out there? Thanks
Mark

panther618
11th Sep 2010, 14:32
Ive read about garmin 500 and clarity, but i fly a stampe and need one to strap on my knee, needs to be clear and bright and pick up a signal from my knee, any ideas out there? Thanks
Mark

john1million
11th Sep 2010, 15:02
So Andy 20, what's the build quality like on the Aware?

Mickey Kaye
11th Sep 2010, 20:34
"So Andy 20, what's the build quality like on the Aware?"

Exactly the same as the 45 quid 5" non branded Chinese car sat nav off ebay. In fact it's not as good as that because its a 4.3" no brand name sat nav off ebay for 35 quid. Search and you can find it.

Having said that I do like the product. Mind you i'm not convinced its a huge improvement over the CAA charts and memory map for half the price.

But Skydemon is a world apart very impressive and when tied in with a 5" hacked car sat nav is simply stupendous value for money.

lordhedges
12th Sep 2010, 06:40
That's not technically right; there are over 20 factories across China that make a unit that looks EXACTLY like the Aware unit right down to the orange banding, but standards and component parts vary hugely.

Airbox get their units from one source/manufacturer only to ensure that screen brightness, build quality etc remain consistent.

Buying from Ebay doesn't necessarily guarantee that consistency.

rjtjrt
12th Sep 2010, 07:12
"Ive read about garmin 500 and clarity, but i fly a stampe and need one to strap on my knee, needs to be clear and bright and pick up a signal from my knee, any ideas out there? Thanks"
Mark,
I have no experience with biplane open cockpit.
I have a Garmin GPSMAP296,and a Garmin Area 500.
The 296 is slow to get satellites.
The G 500 fast - I suspect it has a Sirfstar III or equivalent chipset.
Fast also means sensitive and the Area500 will work reliably in poor situations that 296 more than struggles with - ie deep in a room with a large window, so I suspect it will work well in biplane but i can't be sure.
I prefer the G296 due ergonomics. ie buttons/rocker cf touch screen.
You could use the 296/495/496 with the external antenna connected - it works very well.
Hope this helps
John

panther618
12th Sep 2010, 12:49
Thanks John
Most helpful.
I was contemplating Clarity v G500 or 550, sounds like the 500 or 550 would be a worthwhile investment.Ill have to wear a velcro suit and wrap it up in velcro!:ugh:
Cheers
Mark

Big Pistons Forever
12th Sep 2010, 15:08
I have a Garmin 495 and have been extremely happy. It is robust easy to use and the map updates are much faster than the earlier versions. The good news is that the Aera seems to be taking over and so some very good deals are available on e-bay for slightly used units. However I use mine in North America so I am not sure how the map data base works in the UK.

Bobby Hart
13th Sep 2010, 09:49
"Skydemon is a world apart very impressive and when tied in with a 5" hacked car sat nav is simply stupendous value for money"

Indeed. The mobile part of the software package is mighty and seems to work with a great many cheap devices (with a little bit of jimmying!;))

"I've also just heard that SkyDemon will be bringing out their software on their own hardware devices very soon"

After speaking to Tim at SkyDemon recently, it seems that he is very close to having a dedicated peice of hardware. Likely to be similar in cost to the Clarity and the Aera 500 but with those lovely charts...

WALSue
13th Sep 2010, 19:12
I went for the cheaper option, a PDA GPS and Memory Map with the CAA charts.
I'm about to fashion some sort of way of propping it up rather than keeping it on my lap but it does the job nicely

PompeyPaul
11th Jan 2011, 20:41
Reading this thread the Calrity seems to be the GPS of choice. As I understand it SkyDemon can't export to it ? I know SkyDemon do their own unit but it feels safer to go with a longer standing make though ?

Mickey Kaye
11th Jan 2011, 21:15
Personally I don't think the clarity unit is a patch on Skydemon and if you go down the hack your own ebay sat nav approach its a good 400 quid cheaper.

You can also download a months trial as well.

And in my eyes the clarity unit is simply a chinese sat nav with there own software running on it.

SunnyDayInWiltshire
11th Jan 2011, 22:18
I'd second the SkyDemon option. Your choice whether to buy the official unit or hack a cheap Chinese device to save money, either way the complete pre-planning solution (including printed plogs) and GPS in cockpit moving map is outstanding.

Bobby Hart
12th Jan 2011, 09:44
It seems like the hacked ebay Sat-nav is a popular choice for other SkyDemon users. I see that on other forums there are guys that can go into greater depth as to how that can be done...

I prefer the option of hardware support though. I like the option of being able to ring them up if I need help with something!

Mickey Kaye
12th Jan 2011, 14:59
"I prefer the option of hardware support though. I like the option of being able to ring them up if I need help with something"

I work from two different airfields and kick about a 3rd. Its getting to the point were so many people have hacked chinese sat nav either for memory map or more so lately Skydemon that you can always find at least one expert.

Miroku
12th Jan 2011, 15:24
The Clarity was supposed to have an update available before Christmas to bring it in line with Skydemon. It doesn't appear to have happened yet.......

Having said that I am mightily impressed by my Clarity and it does everything I need.

I get the impression from other threads that putting Skydemon on a GPS unit yourself is not as easy as it sounds................

Mickey Kaye
12th Jan 2011, 15:34
I disagree its really easy to do. Very basic computers skills. But if haven't got that or don't know anyone who has then you can buy it already installed. Cost a fair but more that way but you takes you choice and all that.

liam548
12th Jan 2011, 16:40
Im enjoying the 2011 Pooleys flight guide add on to the Clarity, very useful. The updates are coming and Airbox state that it will create the most polished GPS for GA...

Flying Podcast
1st Feb 2011, 14:55
Have a listen to this interview with William Moore from Airbox. An interesting insight in to the development and functionality of the Aware GPS units. www.flyingpodcast.co.uk (http://www.flyingpodcast.co.uk)

boxmaker
8th Jul 2011, 15:34
I would just like to share with everyone my experience with the Sat Nav I have recently installed in my Calidus Gyroplane, an Airbox Aero Foresight. I deliberated for quite some time while it was awaiting CAA approval before I made the decision. It would have been real easy to go for the soft option and fit a Garmin but the Calidus is so well laid out that putting a “loose Brick on a bracket” somewhere would have spoilt it. Probably not the best criteria for the decision! The unit was fitted prior to delivery, so all I had to do was forget to take the operators manual with me to make life a bit more interesting. I sat in the machine and played around for about 10 minutes and keyed in the route home, took it up to the Mynd on a trailer, did the last hour of my conversion course in my machine and, 80 miles, one hour and ten minutes and five way points later I arrived home. I like the ease of use, as everything is so obvious and the flight logging is such a handy feature. If I had a criticism, it would be the brightness of the screen when the sun is intense, but when I checked for updates for the software that comes with it, (which incidentally is also well thought out and just as simple to use) they have upgraded the screen to a super bright one! I think I’ll just get some thicker, darker sun glasses!. before I purchased the unit I did ring Airbox up to ask about data transfer and I spoke to a real person who put me straight through to a techie and got the answer straight away . During the conversation I learned that the units were used extensively by air ambulance services and in some military installations, which gave me a lot of confidence that I was making the right decision. This was British at its very best. I don’t feel qualified or experienced enough to make a recommendation here, but it has exceeded what I expected and the support was instant and I value that highly, but I would feel very comfortable in saying don’t make a decision until you have had a look at this product.

trex600
13th Sep 2011, 02:25
Has the latest Clarity update allowed breadcrumb trails on the device, it doesn't seem to be showing up if so ??
I'm very impressed with the Fastplan software by the way :)
T6

SEP Flyer
14th Sep 2011, 15:59
Adding my vote to the Airbox Clarity. I did a lot of research prior to buying and am very happy with it. The Fastplan software on the PC is a doddle to use, and I've gone for the additional NOTAM and weather service. Only drawbacks so far seem to be screen is not great with bright sun on it and I wish it was just a tiny bit bigger for my fat fingers!

longwings
19th Sep 2011, 18:42
Been running with the new Skydemon MD for the last month..very easy to use, Notams, weather, vitual radar etc ... planning possible via downloaded tool on your own pc, or web based (on anyone else's)..or just on the unit ..very impressive.

Roff
19th Sep 2011, 18:57
1st post :rolleyes:
Iv just purchased a ipad and the external bluetooth gns 5870 receiver, Iv gotta say the receiver is poor and everytime i look in the bag it's switched itself on.
Why can't they just use a normal switch :mad:

rusty sparrow
19th Sep 2011, 19:20
Another vote for skydemon - I've tried it for about five hours cross country flying in the last month, loaded onto a Chinese GPS. Very well thought out and with responsive customer service and useful discussion board.

thing
19th Sep 2011, 19:24
I have an Aware 5+ which does what it says on the tin. Very pleased with it. Particularly like the fact that it's just the same as looking at a half mil map but it moves, plus you get all the airspace warning stuff.

dublinpilot
19th Sep 2011, 21:44
What is it with all the "first time posters" on this thread? :hmm:

lordhedges
20th Sep 2011, 07:53
I'm the only Airbox rep on here if that's what you are insinuating! :)

Humaround
20th Sep 2011, 08:21
Roff - I agree about the GNS5780 turning itself on in the bag. I fixed it by clamping it face down against my kneepad (which has an elastic strap.

But in actual use I've had no bother at all with it - it picks up a lock quickly and the iPad links immediately.

The real problem with most cheaper GPS units is sunlight readablility, and the ones which are better in that respect are ££££'s.

The iPad is good enough for me, most of the time, certainly better than the budget Aware units which are hopeless in my aircraft.

HamiltonJOG
23rd Feb 2012, 15:02
This unit is the best I have found for GA. It overlays approachs so you always have positional awareness. If you want to fly into Class C or B airspace, do yourself a favor and get something that keeps you legal, safe and proficient.

2high2fastagain
24th Feb 2012, 16:48
Skydemon acolyte here. This software blew me away when i first saw it. You can now run it on your pc, Chinese gps and your iPad. I suspect the iPad version is going to be very popular.
I love the clear, vector mapping and seamless movement between country charts.
Btw - happy customer here not a rep. Lol.

stuartforrest
24th Feb 2012, 20:28
Skydemon without a doubt. It was brilliant before it would run on an ipad. Now it is sensational. Been using it for over two years. I would hate to fly without it.

Ultra long hauler
24th Feb 2012, 21:36
I use Garmin 695.
Nice………

###Ultra Long Hauler###

tmmorris
25th Feb 2012, 19:17
No willy-waving in here!

Tim