PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Pilots private Flying in the UK

nomorecatering
19th Jun 2010, 10:00
A few mates and myself are regular visitors to the UK. So far we have explored the counry by road, but now we're thinking of flying around the UK.

Aircaft rentals seem rather hard to comeby from clubs etc are difficult, either for price or availablilty.

So, we were thinkin of pooling our resources and buyin an aircraft, something like a new G600 Piper Archer and putting it online with a flying club to use when we are not in the country.

So, what would we have to do to to be able to fly a British registered aircraft.
Our qualifications are,

Oz ATPL's, all of us are professional GA pilots and IFR Multi Engine Instructors. Avarage experience is around 5000hrs.

Do we have to convert our Oz licences to Bitish ones and do the whole instrument rating course again or just flight tests, and of course the writen tests.

How popular would a Brand new Archer be for an club, for PPLs to private hire.

As for flying IFR in the UK, how does the system work for a lightie. Can one plan from A to be via any convenient route, or being a lightie, do you have to avoid airways....what ever that is. Here in Oz we just plan what ever route is shown on the jepps subject to route requirements.

Thanks all.

hightower1986
19th Jun 2010, 17:51
Well I cant help with the rest of the questions but im a brit with a New Zealand PPL (SEP, VFR only) and am able to fly VFR on current NZ licence with british registered aircraft, so I assume you wouldn't need to convert the licence but hopefully some kind soul will have more information to share??