PDA

View Full Version : Renter's Insurance In USA

BBCOBMIKE
18th Jun 2010, 20:17
I like flying in Northern California and Oregon and in the past 5 years have rented aircraft using my piggy backed FAA PPL without the need for seperate renters insurance.

Unfortunately the outfit I used to rent from has closed and all the other places with rental aircraft available require renter's insurance.

The couple of companies I have approached will provide insurance but only by an annual policy which at $400-$500 is too much for a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know where to get renter's insurance for the US for just a couple of weeks, and at a reasonable price?

Thanks, Mike

BBCOBMIKE
19th Jun 2010, 10:07
Apologies for not searching the topic first. Seems no one has found an insurer willing to insure by the month. Shame as there is nothing better than flying into the remote strips by lakes for a spot of fishing. Might just have to go for an annual policy and cancel it after my holiday.

Cusco
19th Jun 2010, 14:39
The couple of companies I have approached will provide insurance but only by an annual policy which at $400-$500 is too much for a couple of weeks.

Believe me, that $400 won't seem nearly so expensive when you need to make a claim and the Insurance Company stumps up $5,000 without a peep.

Cusco

herman the crab
20th Jun 2010, 08:43
Possibly worth joing the US AOPA - for me their rates were around $200 a year for coverage compared with twice that for the FBO. The AOPA one also has the public liability included, etc.

HTC

B2N2
20th Jun 2010, 14:33
You may want to give Alexander Aviation a try:
Non-Owned and Renter's Insurance from Alexander Aviation: The Aircraft Insurance Experts. (http://www.alexanderaviation.com/rentersinsurance.jsf)
You're looking at about $220-$250/year depending on type of coverage.

Kai Tak
18th Aug 2010, 16:05
I want to rent in the US, but I'm not a US citizen.
Avemco and Aopa do not sell renter insurance to non US citizens.
Anybody know what company does?

Katamarino
18th Aug 2010, 16:36
Aopa do not sell renter insurance to non US citizens.

They were happy to sell it to me, and I am a British Citizen. Try phoning them; that's what I did.

172driver
18th Aug 2010, 16:42
Avemco and Aopa do not sell renter insurance to non US citizens.

Not correct. What you need to do, however, is supply them with a US mailing address; this can be a friend's it does not imply you live there permanently.