PDA

View Full Version : PPL schools Northwest

scafell
18th Jun 2010, 11:09
Hi all, i've got the money ready to start a PPL course, I live between Manchester and Liverpool, so I have a varied choice of schools. LAC, Flight Academy, Ravenair, Mersey Flight or Liverpool Flying School.. I've done the ground work and had info sent to me..

Can anyone recommend any of the above??

Many thanks.

Scafell

chris-h
18th Jun 2010, 12:30
Liverpool flying school did it for me, Tell them what you want like i did.
I wanted the same instructor to get me through the course because i hear of other places chopping and changing instructors. And i did it in block bookings to get me through it, I was in 9-5 monday-thursday some weeks and any slots that became available. I just wanted it over & done with in the end because id done my solo quallify x country then didnt fly for 2 years so when i went back i wanted to just hammer it + exams.
I recommend LFS
Iv since completed my IMCr and will be doing Night Rating in the winter.

The credit card also seen a hammering tho

scafell
20th Jun 2010, 21:39
Thanks Chris, did you get any help with the ground school exams, I've actually been into liverpool flying school and they said it was all self study and I can get the books on ebay...in relation to your credit card being hammered, are they expensive??

chris-h
21st Jun 2010, 00:28
I was ready for my skill test but couldnt take it until i finished my exams, Thats when i let everything slip for over 2 years, so when i went back i basiclly said' Id love to go flying again but need to just hammer the ground school and pass all the exams before i start flying again.

The CFI took me under his belt and got me through it all, Then i passed

I paid for a lot of ground school through it all but some people have no trouble learning it from the books at home.. The cost is simlar to all the local flying schools. So yeah expensive :-(
Good luck

gg190
21st Jun 2010, 12:42
If you can get to Blackpool, I would strongly recommend Westair, I did my PPL their and I cannot speak highly enough for them.

They've been in aviation for over 60 years, they are very professional and will bend over backwards to help you.

I also use Ravenair on the Isle of Man (in the guise of Manx Flyers) and I have no complaints about them, they have some very good instructors.

scafell
21st Jun 2010, 20:27
Thanks Chris, I'd take your advise on getting the exams done, I've heard that you can end up not flying due to not completing your exams!! I've still some research to do!!

GG190 thanks for the advice, I've seemed to have missed them out on my search i'll look into them, also you mention Ravenair on the Isle of Man!! do you know much about Ravenair at Barton or liverpool???