PDA

View Full Version : Going to see the CAA?

Mark1234
17th Jun 2010, 10:57
So, I've got all my bits of paper.. done all the exams and suchlike to get my JAA license off the back of my ICAO one; it's been 'suggested' that the smart move might be to actually go and see the CAA physically with the paperwork, in order to make sure nothing goes awry, and that if I go early enough I might be able to get them to do it 'on the day'.

Anyone done this, what's the form?
Cheers.

mcgoo
17th Jun 2010, 11:10
If it's for a licence you wont be able to get it the same day, you do get a guaranteed 10 day service though.

Ryan5252
17th Jun 2010, 13:28
you do get a guaranteed 10 day service though.

Is it guaranteed though? Maybe its different if transferring a licence but the CAA gave me a call this morning to process payment for the return postage of my logbook etc. (new PPL application). Happy days thinks I, it must be on the way... but alas, in true British fashion they process the payment first and then the licence. The lad on the phone advised they are slightly behind target at the minute and are processing licences from 03 June (they have a loose definition of "Slightly"!!) I should expect mine in two weeks from today... more solo flying for me then! :cool:

mcgoo
17th Jun 2010, 13:48
No, theres no difference, they won't issue any licence same day, only ratings. I've applied for licenses by post and visited PLD, the one in the post took 4 weeks, the one in person arrived in less than the quoted 10 days.

PilotPieces
17th Jun 2010, 14:24
When I took my initial PPL application to Gatwick, the nice lady went through it in front of me to make sure everything was ok, took my money and said it should be ready in 10 working days. I was wondering as I left, what they do with it for 10 days!? :confused:

Mike Cross
17th Jun 2010, 16:55
Incubation, they sit on the application and wait for it to hatch.:E

JW411
17th Jun 2010, 17:44
In answer to your original question, if you possibly can do it, go to the Public Desk in the Belgrano with all of your paperwork in person and have it checked out.

As I have stated on a previous forum, I have done this five or six times in recent years and the outcome has always been very positive.

Frelon
17th Jun 2010, 18:37
I guess emails go into the incubation area too!!:ugh:

1800ed
18th Jun 2010, 11:23
The CAA processed my first licence within two weeks of me posting the paperwork to them. I know of a couple of people who had the same experience too. You can still fly while your application is being processed, but you can't use your licences privileges until you have 'signed it in ink or indelible pencil' (no passengers).