PDA

View Full Version : Flying from UK Mainland to Northern Ireland

Genghis the Engineer
14th Jun 2010, 16:41
I'm sure I should know the answer to this, but I don't.

I'm planning a trip to Londonderry in a few weeks Booker - Sleap - Londonderry: all the flight planning and safety stuff is straightforward enough.

I know that I need to lodge this with Special Branch in good time (I've done it before for Eire).

But do I need to file a flight plan?

G

Ryan5252
14th Jun 2010, 17:09
But do I need to file a flight plan?No, your not crossing an FIR but considering the over water distance you'd be better off. If your planning on flying into Eglinton EGAE it is a designated port of entry.

reportyourlevel
14th Jun 2010, 18:58
Not required but advisable. You'll probably get a service from Ronaldsway 120.850 for the sea crossing if you ask nicely.

fisbangwollop
14th Jun 2010, 20:22
No FPL required but suggest the very least you talk to ATC crossing the water......most head up the Cumbrian coast crossing at Whitehaven to Kirkcudbright avoiding D405 to the east, then follow the solway coast west towards Stranraer/portpatrick depending on Luce Bay danger area activity D403. Then its a short sea crossing towards Larne and on to Newtonards.

If you talk to Blackpool/Warton they will probably pas your details to myself ( Scottish Info ) and we will make sure you have a safe trip from there on in updating you on the DA activity......have a good trip and enjoy...:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

BounceBounceLand
14th Jun 2010, 21:07
spelt "Newtownards"

:=

snchater
14th Jun 2010, 21:15
Flew into Derry on Saturday and stayed overnight - everyone we encountered were friendly and helpful until we came to depart Sunday morning: 'Dave' in ATC was rude,surlish and a complete jobsworth - it left a bad impression and means we will not be in a hurry to return .

Incidently Newtownards,Enniskillen and Waterford were excellent as was Scottish and Shannon Information :D

C182 G-BHIB

Ryan5252
14th Jun 2010, 23:37
'Dave' in ATC was rude,surlish and a complete jobsworth - it left a bad impression and means we will not be in a hurry to return

Unfortunately a common experience at Eglinton. Belfast City and Newtownards have their less finer moments on occasion also. However, the regional airports mentioned are very GA friendly, as are the regionals along the Irish side of the FIR; Donegal, Sligo and Knock and come highly recommended.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jun 2010, 08:57
Thanks chaps, really helpful.

Needless to say I'll be talking and squawking all the way - I can talk to a suitable service all the way.

On that route, I don't think I should ever be much more than 30nm from a diversion, since I'm just about clipping the south edge of the Isle of Mann (and may take a small dog-leg to ensure that).

G

JOE-FBS
15th Jun 2010, 12:10
In contrast to the earlier posts of bad experiences. On a recent holiday in Ireland, I hired various SEP aircraft from Ulster Flying Club at Newtownards on various days and flew into Enniskillen, Derry / Londonderry / Eglinton and Donegal. During the ash shut-down, I also managed a touch and go at both Belfast City and International. Throughout all this, I found all the controllers, ground handlers and everyone else we spoke to or met to be friendly and helpful. I also got a no fuss VFR transit across both Belfast airports on a no-ash day. Full details in the relevant entries in the ATIS section of the Flyer forum. Oh and it was all very cheap.