PDA

View Full Version : MEP Rating

VFR Transit
14th Jun 2010, 15:06
I am just about to start looking at the Multi Engine Piston Rating, and would like to get the advice and gather information from fellow MEP rated pilots. The course requirements are not an issue and I understand what is needed within the training side, my only concern is the preparation for the course
So far I have managed to download the MEP training syllabus from the CAA website, and have obtained copies of the POH for both aircraft along with relevant checklists.
Other than reading the POH and Checklists, is there any other preparation work I can complete before the course to minimise the time in the air?
I have never been for a flight in a multi Engine aircraft, although I have actually sat in the aircraft to get an idea for its layout and general feel.
I would be happy for any feedback and learning tips prior to taking the course and look forward to your advice.
Thanks in advance and if anyone is flying a twin (around Suffolk/Essex) and has a spare seat free, please also drop me a line.
VFR

aluminium persuader
14th Jun 2010, 15:17
Do a few practice walkrounds, taking your time to really look at everything

Sit in the a/c & practice the drills( touch only!) in slow time, reading the FRCs, as often as possible (without going overboard).

Fuji Abound
14th Jun 2010, 16:26
1. Know the aircraft. You may be surprised otherwise by the type specific questions in the theory paper,

2. As the other poster said be very familiar with all the controls and the various procedures - you may be surprised how much seems to be going on during your first few flights - it will help enormously if you really know where everything is,

3. Make sure you are totally familiar with the power settings - you will obvioulsy be spending a lot of time in the circuit - when you are just going round and round things happen even more quickly and that is not the time to be thinking about when to get the aircraft cleaned up, what power settings to use down wind, base and final, when to take flaps and gear. That familiarity should obvioulsy include the same knowledge for circuit work with one engine in op. Your school should be able to give you that information,

In short committ all that to memory and you will find the flying sooo much easier - remember unless you have a background in fast, complex singles a great deal will seem to be going on and it will seem very easy to get behind the aircraft.

Enjoy. It is a great sense of satisfaction to get your multi and for some reason you always seem to feel you are flying a "serious" machine when you are driving a mulit.

FREDAcheck
14th Jun 2010, 17:53
for some reason you always seem to feel you are flying a "serious" machine when you are driving a mulit
Jolly serious things, these mulits.

vanHorck
14th Jun 2010, 17:54
all of the above, and then....

Enjoy the pleasure of rock solid flight with awesome directional stability.

Not a cheap flying option but oh so rewarding!