PDA

View Full Version : Newquay or Perranporth

The Dead Side
14th Jun 2010, 14:17
I've searched the forums and there are small threads on both of these airports, however slightly outdated.

I'd like to fly down to Newquay at some point during July or August, just to spend a day on the beach with the family. Does anyone have any recent GA experience at either Newquay or Perranporth?

I've only heard good comments about how accommodating Perranporth is, and a few negatives about the state of GA at Newquay. Do you still need handling there?

I don't require any hangarage or overnight parking, just a reasonable landing fee, and close access (taxi trip) to a beach! (PA28 by the way).

Cheers

JW411
14th Jun 2010, 14:41
There is no contest, go to Perranporth.

Johnm
14th Jun 2010, 14:52
I've been to Perranporth and there are beaches within walking distance of the airfield, if your kids aren't too little you can walk along the coast to the town and beach.

If you need transport I suspect the taxi fare from Perranporth will balance out the landing fees at Newquay.

If it's a beach day you won't be needing the ILS ;-)

Tom_p
14th Jun 2010, 16:59
I was in the same predicament as you deciding between Newquay or Perranporth.

With Newquay boasting about its "GA" apron and the fact its opening weekend the landing fee was £15 with two hours parking i was optimistic, but rang to get a price and its was £35 ish. If you wanted fuel you had to pay an extra handling fee.

So went to Perranporth nice airfield, AG service was great £15 landing fee for a SR20 and got a taxi to St Agnes for some lunch what more could you want? :ok:

Barcli
14th Jun 2010, 17:05
newquay about 6 weeks ago - very easy - park north side, mandatory handling but thats easy - they come and meet you - taxi to jamie olivers "15" at watergate bay (?) about £4 - loads of beach, bit of a dated hotel, C182 - paid parking /landing fee on return for the day about £20 all in
edited to say - dont forget your high vis

imperialsam
14th Jun 2010, 17:31
I flew to Newquay a couple of weeks ago.

Landing fee was £19 for a PA28, although this may have been cheaper than normal as it was their 'GA Weekend'. Handling is no longer mandatory below 3 tonnes MTOW as per their AIP entry. Nonetheless, the handling agents who took our landing fee were very helpful, offered us a (free) cream tea, and were more than happy for us to use their briefing facilities.

We hired a car from Hertz onsite which cost £40 for the day (prebooked) and allowed us to get around Newquay, Padstow and the area without needing multiple taxis.

All in all we were made to feel very welcome.

Applecore
14th Jun 2010, 18:15
I learned to fly at Perranporth and live 2 miles from Newquay.

I'd choose Perranporth for most VFR light GA trips in daylight.

Newquay for IFR.

Gav28
14th Jun 2010, 18:16
I went to both about a month ago, Newquay were very good and let me fly a couple of practice ILSs, they even switched the runway so I could fly one on both.

Perranporth is also excellent, I parked up there overnight, don't recall the exact price but was very reasonable. The town itself is very pleasant and the beach is great, you can walk into town or get a taxi if you have luggage.

Out of the two I’d opt for Perranporth but had a very good experience at both.

If you have the time a trip over to the Scilly Isles is also well worth it.

Talkdownman
14th Jun 2010, 18:24
Newquay Landing fee for PA28 was forty-odd quid early June. Declined fuel uplift because I understood that would trigger a handling charge. Weston FBO very friendly but IMHO Perranporth better placed and better value for a seaside family leisure trip, with nice cliff-top walks.

Fuji Abound
14th Jun 2010, 20:24
All the above, but for anyone going to Padstein (I know you are not, but others thread readers might) there is not much in it if you pay for a taxi for the longer drive from Perranporth. Also for longer stays (or even a day) car rental is very easy from Newquay, although I guess they might be persuaded to bring a car over to Perranporth - never tried.

hoodie
15th Jun 2010, 11:06
Fuji, if going to 'Padstein' VFR, another - and much closer - option is Roserrow (http://www.roserrow.co.uk/airstrap-info.htm) for those that can cope with 600m of grass. The landing fee is a fairly steep £20, for what it is, though.

Fuji Abound
15th Jun 2010, 13:00
A very good thought - Roserrow does indeed look really nice.

Unfortunately it is a little short for my mode of transport these days (which is also not that keen on grass) but it is indeed a very good suggestion.

gvizz
15th Jun 2010, 14:22
Exeter based, my travels ofetn take me down into Cornwall. Off the two i much prefer to go into Perranporth, it's low key, friendly and offers cheap landing fees. En-route radar service from Newquay is always very professional, friendly and PPL helpful but landing fees etc considerably higher than Perranporth.

The Dead Side
15th Jun 2010, 20:52
Cheers for all the great answers folks. Much appreciated. I'll probably end up going into Perranporth, and take a nice cliff walk.

Thanks Again

Weekend Flyer
16th Jun 2010, 06:41
The Coastal Path to Perranporth town from the airfield is lovely - stunning views. Be aware though, that the chaps in the Tower will suggest that it is "about a forty minute walk". Given that my pedometer made it 4.1 miles from the Tower to the centre of Perranporth, you'd need to be walking at some pace to manage that in forty minutes! It is definitely worth the effort and you can get a taxi back to the airfield from the rank in the centre of town if you are tight for time or have had enough exercise.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n24/GromitPics/th_Perranporth150510.jpg (http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n24/GromitPics/?action=view&current=Perranporth150510.jpg)

GK430
16th Jun 2010, 07:36
Perranporth - very scenic on a sunny day

Photos: - Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo//1716595/L/)

Deeday
16th Jun 2010, 18:15
my pedometer made it 4.1 miles from the Tower to the centre of PerranporthIt's 1.8 mi along the B3285, according to Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=50.343817,-5.155528&hl=en&geocode=FfTq_wId4vmw_w%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=16&dirflg=w&sll=50.34342,-5.154047&sspn=0.005656,0.014291&ie=UTF8&ll=50.337408,-5.161686&spn=0.037033,0.109863&t=h&z=14). It shouldn't be that longer along the coastal path (shame that Google does not consider it a walkable way).

IO540
17th Jun 2010, 00:55
In good weather, Perranporth is likely to win on a day trip in good weather, because Newquay is hard to get in or out of in less than about an hour, due to formalities.

The latter has an ILS etc but you won't be on the beach if you needed an ILS to get there :)

Watch out for fog, which can form unexpectedly.

Fuji Abound
17th Jun 2010, 07:39
of in less than about an hour

To be fair it has all changed now.

There is a dedicated GA parking area - a couple of hundred metres to the south of the main apron. There is a dedicated GA executive terminal - a portacabin (or is it two) but with a rather nice interior and there is even a dedicated GA bus.

10 minutes last time from arrival to taxi, so things have changed. Fuel is still a little slow as they use a bowser, but then that always slows things down where ever you are.

I think it is called the cornish wash. Arrived there once with the drizzle on the deck (was it 200 feet, hmm not a lot more), an hour later the sun was out and the sky blue.

JimCrawford
17th Jun 2010, 17:43
Perranporth has a smashing little campsite right on the perimeter fence, if that is of interest. The cliff walk into town for a day out is recommended and, after a hearty dinner - possibly involving beer if you're camping - a taxy back isn't too painful.

Jim

The Dead Side
17th Jun 2010, 19:57
Thanks again for all your replies! The website for Perranporth is slightly peculiar, only giving advice on emigrating...?

perranporthairfield.co.uk (http://www.perranporthairfield.co.uk/)

revs&checks
21st Jun 2010, 19:07
I found this link peranporth (http://www.perranporthairfield.com/ai.html) which may be of use. The Local Frequencies have changed but contact details etc are still the same.

The Dead Side
21st Jun 2010, 19:21
Ahh great, I thought I'd searched everywhere! :-)

trex450
22nd Jun 2010, 09:27
Perranporth is a nice airfield to visit, I went there last summer, but beware parachutes. I cannot speak for the Pooleys guide but I have the AFE airfield guide and while it mentions gliding which does not happen anymore it is very active with a parachute club that operates on site.

rgsaero
22nd Jun 2010, 17:54
Don't get panicked by the thought of parachutes! The drop a/c pilots are in radio contact and listen to both with Newquay and Perranporth. They call at intervals into the drop, so that arriving and departing pilots know what's happening. There is no overhead join facility at the airfield to avoid both gliders, which still operate occasionally, and the parachutists. The drop zone doesn't conflict with the circuit or final approach tracks

Apart from the sensible landing fees - £0.01 per kilo max gross plus vat - (and free parking unless you overnight) it's a "real" GA airfield with no security people, handling agents etc etc. And Alison at the 05 cafe does terrific dishes of the day which are very inexpensive, plus all the other essentials like all-day breakfasts etc.

Oh! and the taxi to Perranporth if the legs aren't too good is £5. Enjoy!

And, no, I don't own the place or work there!

stupix
23rd Jun 2010, 00:28
awsome picture, makes me want to fly down ans take a look

Gold Miner
23rd Jun 2010, 19:23
Perranporth airfield's website can be found at:

Perranporth Flying Club, Perranporth, Cornwall, UK (http://www.perranporthflyingclub.co.uk/)

The Dead Side
23rd Jun 2010, 20:07
Thats the one, cheers :-D

mmgreve
23rd Jun 2010, 21:20
I went there last weekend. Absolutely stunning scenery and very friendly people. It is the first time I am down in that end of the country and gotta say that the ATCs were much friendlier (and less busy) than I am used to - I even got a short lecture on Cornwall history when I was trying to locate the claytops I needed to stay south of.

Andy_20
24th Jun 2010, 11:57
Im heading down that way end of July hopefully, cannot wait... :ok:

terryp
27th Jun 2010, 18:31
Hi there, I flew into Newquay on Thursday this week from Sherburn in Elmet. I had originally planned for Perranporth but as they closed at 530 it was a little earlier than I was able to make it there. While Newquay is expensive, £34 landing fee (PA28) and £4 for 24 hours parking (plus VAT), I must say they guys at Weston Aviation were great, very friendly, helpful both in meeting me on arrival and departure the next day. They also looked after my friend who arrived to pick us up and friends that waited in the lounge while I prepared for departure.

I flew onwards to Lands End, passing overhead Perranporth and was a little disappointed I didnt stop off as it does look a great place to land, maybe next time!

Both Newquay and Perranporth are close to beaches though! Agree with previous posts, do watch out for the low level fog and high terrain especially if coming from the north.