PDA

View Full Version : Musings about Tunisia...

Katamarino
13th Jun 2010, 19:34
Has anyone flown GA into Tunis, or maybe Algeria? I am idly contemplating the summer's flying...

Artistic Intention
14th Jun 2010, 07:52
I've been into Tunis. It's a bit of a ballsache. You need a clearance number for your flight plan and you will need to pre-arrange avgas as it is not normally available. Lots of faffing to get from the apron into the terminal and through customs etc. Repeat faffing to get back out again.

172driver
14th Jun 2010, 11:30
Never been there myself but know a French guy who has (Algeria). Seems to be doable with some planning and avoiding Algiers. PM me for his details.

On a different note, I'd suggest to stick this query also in the Italian forum. They are closer to Tunisia and chances are someone has been there.

Sam Rutherford
14th Jun 2010, 12:29
Hoping that this doesn't constitute advertising :O but we fly regularly into Tunisia and Libya (and Algeria next year).

Safe flights, Sam.

Sam Rutherford
14th Jun 2010, 12:33
Sorry, additionally, the whole region will be very warm :eek: in July-Sept - more of an issue personally than for your machine, so a personal thing, but not to be underestimated.

Sam.

If you are flying a low-wing, then drink lots of water!

Katamarino
14th Jun 2010, 17:11
A Jet-A-burning low-wing it would be! Although I first have to address the challenge of the club's insurance only covering "Europe", it now seems...

Sam Rutherford
14th Jun 2010, 18:28
Hi Katamarino;

That's not usually a problem, you can even extend for the geographical limits and duration of your trip - you might have to pay extra for that, of course:hmm:

Safe flights, Sam.

Katamarino
20th Jun 2010, 18:54
Looks like insurance will be ok!

Does anyone have a source of AIP info for Tunis that doesn't involve paying them 200 Euros to order a CD-ROM..? :}

DLT1939
20th Jun 2010, 21:47
Tunisian AIP here:

English index ( Frame set ) (http://www.oaca.nat.tn/english/index_pro_services_eng.htm)

Katamarino
21st Jun 2010, 03:55
Yes, I found that, but could not find any actual AIP information; if you click on "AIP" you just get that Warning page. All I could find was a link asking for 200 Euro for a CD-ROM.

Sam Rutherford
21st Jun 2010, 11:24
If you want everything, then you may have to pay the Eur200. If you want a few specific items then your clearance agent will be able to let you know.

Safe flights, Sam.

AfricanEagle
21st Jun 2010, 15:19
Yes, I found that, but could not find any actual AIP information; if you click on "AIP" you just get that Warning page.

Click side bar of said page, you get the warning again but at top you click on "generalitie" "enroute" "aerodromes": it opens all teh AIP.

Katamarino
21st Jun 2010, 19:57
Aha, thanks AE, that's great; don't know how I missed that!

Katamarino
22nd Jul 2010, 09:36
Does anyone know how to go about getting a clearance number? I have googled, and read the AIP front to back, but there seems nothing related to private VFR flights and getting permission; only for commercial, or special flights (VIP, etc).

I have tried a handling agent that was recommended, but they are very unresponsive (1 week+ to even answer an email), and I am starting to think I should not rely on them.

Sam Rutherford
22nd Jul 2010, 15:52
Hi Katamarino,

Was that ours? Normally they're very good.

Otherwise, go through White Rose Aviation - who are exceptional.

Best regards, Sam.

Katamarino
22nd Jul 2010, 16:41
Thanks Sam, I have heard good things about them before. I'll give them a go! Yes, it was your guys, unfortunately. Someone called "Anis" was, eventually, replying; but I've not heard for a week despite chasing.

Sam Rutherford
22nd Jul 2010, 16:55
Okay, try Mike at White Rose, tell him Sam says Hi!

Cheers, Sam.

flyingfemme
22nd Jul 2010, 17:29
Another vote for Mike - he does all my stuff...

AfricanEagle
23rd Jul 2010, 09:57
Katamarino, when are you thinking of going?

I am also considering some tea in the desert.

Katamarino
23rd Jul 2010, 10:43
We'll be in Tunisia from the 10th to the 14th of August. On the way down, we'll stop for fuel in Italy on the 7th, and then spend a few nights in Corsica. It'd be nice to see you!