PDA

View Full Version : LearJet Type rating

Dangagan
13th Jun 2010, 08:37
Can I fly a Learjet45 on a PPL(A) and what is the cost of a Learjet45 Type rating? Thanks

NuName
13th Jun 2010, 09:18
You can fly any aircraft you like on a PPL, you just have to find someone or some organisation prepared to give you the training.

I-AINC
13th Jun 2010, 18:45
With a PPL you can only fly aircraft with MTOW< 5700kg. Check the weight of a LR45.

NuName
13th Jun 2010, 18:48
There is no weight limit on a PPL, in theory you can fly a B747 or a A380 on it.

Shiner Pilot
13th Jun 2010, 19:01
VFR in uncontrolled airspace...
Why would you want to spend all that money?

Must be loaded...

doubleu-anker
13th Jun 2010, 19:02
One hurdle to overcome is the insurance cover. Being a PPL, you are likely to be inexperienced. Likely, not implying you are.

NuName
13th Jun 2010, 19:05
With an instrument rating there are no restrictions and the insurance company will take into consideration experience but nobody is saying it will be easy or cheap.

seaskimmer
13th Jun 2010, 20:31
Cost around £15,000 GBP, you can fly on a PPL but I don't think it can be flown single crew.

180 Too Fower
15th Jun 2010, 12:23
JAR-FCL or FAA ?

You cannot get the LR45 put on a JAR-FCL PPL or indeed any multi pilot/crew aircraft without either an ATPL or Frozen, and MCC etc etc....read Lasors on CAA web.

You cannot even get it put on a UK CPL/IR without having passed the ATPL ground examinations.....and after you have done all that.....an ATPL skill test in the Aircraft.:ooh:

Bye for now.:ok:

NuName
15th Jun 2010, 12:35
Oh yes you can, the only essential difference between a PPL and a CPL is the word commercial, ATPL takes the commercial situation a bit further. I used to fly a large (way over 5700kg), 2 crew aircraft with a UK PPL holder who done the type rating on the CAA PPL and then had the priviledges transferred to his FAA PPL. The weight restrictions only apply to commercial operations, you can fly anything with a PPL, just do the type rating, and, you should really get an I/R to go with it so you can really have fun.

180 Too Fower
15th Jun 2010, 13:59
To add a Multi Pilot Aeroplane Type Rating to a JAR-FCL Licence which the Lear 45 is there are prerequisite conditions.......it has changed from a few years ago......it's all in Lasors F4.:hmm:

I don't know about other states, but for the uk you can't just get a MPA rating put on a PPL alone.:ugh:

sooooooo get studying:cool:

NuName
15th Jun 2010, 14:05
Well I don't want it and nor do I need it, all this pertains to is the original question and the answer is yes, the fact that you have to satisfy certain requirements does not change the fact that ANY aircraft can be flown on a PPL. FAA, JAA or any AA.

INSIDEVIEW
15th Jun 2010, 14:09
In mye eyes ,just a ridicolous Thread.

Experience is somehow essential to fly an Jet-Airplane .
Just my Opinion.

NuName
15th Jun 2010, 14:15
Not ridiculous at all, there are many PPL's out there with huge experience, I certainly know a few, apart from my previous comment I once knew a guy who owned and flew a Falcon 10 with only a PPL, he was ex air force. You just don't know who might be out there, life is full of supprises. PPL does not stand for no experience it only means not to be used for commercial purposes.

180 Too Fower
15th Jun 2010, 14:57
You cannot fly any aeroplane on just a PPL nowadays......:ugh:

Read Lasors F4:ugh:

Sometime ago yes you could but as I said to put an MPA type rating on a Licence one needs MCC, which can be part of the TRTO Training and one needs to have passed all ground school at ATPL level.

:zzz::zzz:

ATP_Al
15th Jun 2010, 15:04
IIRC for any type designated as a "high performance aircraft", you either need to have passed the ATPL theory exams or undertake a separate high performance aircraft course. Finding an FTO that offers one could be difficult as there's a fairly limited market for such a course.

And yes you do need the MCC as well. It should all be in LASORS

NuName
15th Jun 2010, 15:45
You still do not have to have anything other than a PPL, also, EASA is not the only game in town. Bang your heads all you like, its a fact.

180 Too Fower
15th Jun 2010, 16:39
Wrong.:hmm:

Please refer to the last two posts.

Dangagan: To put a LR45 or any MPA type on a JAR Licence you will need more than just a basic PPL.

Other states will perhaps be different, but FSI Atlanta will not let you near a simulator without having passed the ATPL ground examinations and have MCC.....believe me:cool:

PicMas
15th Jun 2010, 16:42
You are correct NuName, a PPL is all that is required to fly a LR45 or ANY other aircraft certified for civil use (and a few military for that matter)

Give it time and this will turn into the usual "my licensing authority is more correct than yours" cr@p.

Just like the discussion on correct logging of instrument time. There will always be some selfproclaimed aviation oracle, that has all the right answers on how things definitely are, remember... I have said it so many times I know its true.

Oh yeah... and reading "LASORS" and understanding airman licensing is fairly clearly two entirely different things.

LR45 can be flown on a PPL, if one gets different out of reading LASORS, FAR/AIM or Penthouse, the LR45 can still be flown on a PPL. No MCC, No ATPL, No parrot on the shoulder or wooden leg required.

NuName
15th Jun 2010, 16:46
No, right ;), the question was, can a lear be flown on a PPL, answer=yes. I've had enough now so I will leave it to you good folks. I have not made any comments other that it is possible and it can be done, I doubt through Flight Safety or Simuflite but easy to do in Florida.

180 Too Fower
15th Jun 2010, 17:08
Dangagan: If you are JAR Licenced please refer to my post for guidance.;)

I'm JAR-FCL Licenced on the Learjet 45 and an Instuctor on type.:cool:

I know about Licensing and ratings......

Over and out I can take no more:{:{

1Wingnut
26th Jun 2010, 10:36
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. If you are a good enough PPL to think of flying a Learjet, then it should be no problem for you to get a commercial multiengine with instrument rating, or an ATP. The money you save on insurance would more than pay for this over time. If you don't think you could pass a commercial multiengine checkride, then you have no business flying a Learjet.

NuName
26th Jun 2010, 14:31
Hear, Hear! A Wingnut in more ways than one:D

Big Pistons Forever
27th Jun 2010, 23:16
The US takes a very practical approach to licensing. What you can fly is based on the part of the FAR's you are operating under. If it is a purely private flight than FAR 91 is governing regulations and require only a PPL and the applicable type rating for the PIC. All Learjet models have a type certification approval that requires that it be operated with 2 pilots, however there is no requirement for the FO to have a type rating, he/she must simply have the required ratings and meet some specified experience requirements. There are definitely jets being operated with the PIC holding only a PPL's in the USA. However to ensure standards are maintained all reputable type training organizations require an equivalent to ATPL standard of flying competance before you will be recommended for a flight test. There is a broadly similar system in Canada. In addition unqualified pilots will not be able to get insurance cover at any price.

Since the executive jet accident rate per 100,000 hrs is better in the US than in Europe the system seems to be working pretty well.

After reading pprune and seeing the absolutely incredable amount of regulatory overkill that governs avaition accross the pond I am sure glad I fly in North America :)

PURPLE PITOT
29th Jun 2010, 16:59
I never understand why these thing always turn into a pi$$ing competition. To answer the original question, it depends on the state of licence issue.

JAA/EASA= No

FAA/TC and probably many more= Yes

I still have a bigger willy than all of you. So there:)

NuName
29th Jun 2010, 19:21
Can't say I'm really bothered either way, its just that my understanding is that you do not need a professional licence to fly a jet. Interesting topic is all. I do understand that there will be many requirements to satisfy but I did not know that one of these would be to get a CPL/ATPL for the JAA/EASA. Perhaps you could point me towards the definative regulation for this.