PDA

View Full Version : Streak Shadow Pilots-Owners

pipertommy
12th Jun 2010, 14:48
I am considering buying Streak Shadow in the near future (or renew the ME/IR at near a couple of grand) and wondered what the average running cost is yearly and per hour.

Whats a good model in the 4000-5500 band?

The model i`m looking at is SHADOW C-D 503 DCDI which i`ve seen for sale online for just under £4000, (microlight) for example only.

Thanks for any advice:)

Genghis the Engineer
12th Jun 2010, 20:39
Models of Shadow

Microlights
B - 447 engine, front seat controls only
BD - 447 dual controls
CD - 503 engine, dual controls
DD - 582 engine, dual controls
ED - 912 engine, prototype, only one made, awful, scrapped

Light Aircraft
Streak
Starstreak

I don't know the light aircraft versions at-all well, and I'm pretty certain that the Bs have all been either retired or modified to CDs.

Personally, I think that of the microlight models, the CD is by far the best aeroplane for handling and payload. The 503-2v is a wonderfully bulletproof and easy to look after little 2-stroke, and whilst not practical as a 2-up tourer, the CD is a great little aeroplane for solo touring in short hops, or 2-up local flying.

A few issues: the rear cockpit is very cramped - if you can get one with the "Crosbie" footwell mod it'll help a lot for rear seat passengers aged anything over about 12. Learn to maintain Rotax 2-stroke engines; there are various courses around the country, just as around. It is a pain to rig solo - if you are going to keep it de-rigged in a trailer, you need a friend to help initially, although after a while it's do-able solo with a few suitable props. DO NOT CONSIDER KEEPING IT RIGGED OUTDOORS - this is an aeroplane which needs to either be rigged in a hangar, or derigged in a trailer.

Fuel consumption will be somewhere around 13 litres/hr, plus 1:50 decent 2-stroke oil. Derigged in a trailer will inevitably be much cheaper than rigged hangerage.

Join the BMAA, and visit your local microlight clubs.

It's an easy aeroplane to fly, but has a few slightly odd quirks so get yourself checked out by somebody who knows the type well; ideally a microlight instructor.

Get to know the Shadow Flight Centre at Old Sarum - they are the people you really need to be friends with, for parts, support, advice, flying instruction...

£4k for a CD sounds a good price if it has a current permit, but get somebody who knows what they're looking at to come and look over it for you; a BMAA inspector & check pilot who knows Shadows to do a permit standard inspection and check flight would be the perfect person.

G

jxc
30th Oct 2010, 08:17
I had one for a very short time very noisy inside even wearing in ear headset with bose quiet on top
Visability fantastic for the pilot

pipertommy
30th Oct 2010, 20:20
Brilliant, thanks for the reply.
What would I be looking for endurance on a CD?
How reliable is a Two stroke?? Obviously maintained to a good standard!
Thanks.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Oct 2010, 20:37
Brilliant, thanks for the reply.
What would I be looking for endurance on a CD?
How reliable is a Two stroke?? Obviously maintained to a good standard!
Thanks.

A CD should cruise around 60kn, burning about 13 litres/hr; fuel capacity of a standard CD is 22 litres, increasing to 50 litres with the slipper tank mod.

If you are looking to buy one, get somebody know knows them well to have a look at it for you. Shadow Flight Sarum at Old Sarum are the best people in the UK, but if they're not available drop me a PM - I'm an inspector and check pilot on type, with a reasonable number of hours on them (and would enjoy an excuse to have a play with one again).

Reliability? I've about 500 hours in 2-stroke engined microlights, and an engine problem has put me in a field once. I've had other engine problems, but they've either stopped me taking off, or (just !) allowed me home.

G

pipertommy
31st Oct 2010, 09:38
Thanks again for the reply/help. I`m very tempted, just saving the funds.
Thanks for the offer, i`ll probably give you a shout in the future!
Cheers.
PT:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
31st Oct 2010, 14:27
Just looking on AFORS, I'm surprised just how cheap they're going now - given the type's very good track record, I must admit I'd have expected a higher price being asked. I suppose it's simply that they're a fairly old type now, plus the nuisance of having to hangar it, and occasional problems getting parts.

G

pipertommy
31st Oct 2010, 18:25
Ye a really nice price on there for a Shadow CD at £4750.
Wish I had the funds now:rolleyes:

jxc
31st Oct 2010, 20:44
Do yourself a favor and pop down to old sarum and try one 1st before you buy

pipertommy
1st Nov 2010, 11:53
Without a doubt, will be nice to see how it is in the flesh, and get some hands on:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
1st Nov 2010, 15:34
G-MWVG ( 'George') is Shadow Flight Centre's CD training aeroplane, and I suspect has been flown at some point by quite a large percentage of the UK 3-axis microlight pilot community. It must be coming up on about 4,000hrs on the ariframe by now.

G

pipertommy
1st Nov 2010, 16:09
4000hrs!! Wow, thats some going.
I`ll have to pop through for a look, just been on the website and seem to be the people to chat to as you all say:ok:

Utrinque Apparatus
3rd Nov 2010, 14:13
Ghengis

Yup, I flew "George" although with my girth it was a tight squeeze. A great first time experience in a microlight though the D series offers a bit more space. Noisy, yes, but a very forgiving and amazing little aircraft and modern ANR headsets are a boon. SFC at Old Sarum are the true gurus and source of spare parts and advice. Surprising that nobody picked up the manufacture when CFM folded as it outperforms lots of the more modern and very expensive microlight hotships available today. Running costs all in around 40-50 quid an hour depending on hangarage location etc but the trailers are very good too and reduce costs even further. Get one with the Crosbie wing fold kit, slipper tank and Footwell mod and it's even more fun. Tourer it ain't as 2 toothbrushes will take you over MAUW with 2 up and full fuel, but most microlighters don't bother with personal hygiene :E:}