PDA

View Full Version : Renting Aircraft in Southern Spain

Beethoven
14th Feb 2002, 03:01
I wonder if anyone could tell me of where I am able to rent a 152,pa28 or suchlike in southern Spain (preferably Andalucia).I know of the Aeroclub Bahia de Malaga but the unfortunate thing is that they require members to hold a credit card which,for various reasons,I am unable to obtain at present.. . I have tried to search on google and the like but any useful information is alluding me.Also,is Spanish widly spoken on the r/t? I am able to speak Spanish but would not trust my fluency in an aviation situation!!. . Any help appreciated. .Beethoven,

long final
14th Feb 2002, 03:25
Cant help in the Andalusia area, only having used Aeroclub Bahia de Malaga, but as far as the r/t goes I have found it to be predominately Spanish, but English is used if you initiate it.

I found it like learning r/t again due to the accent, but acceptable – mas lento often used!

Regards

LF

newswatcher
14th Feb 2002, 12:57
Beethoven, why not try the Real Aero Club de ESpana, see below:

"Spain has 55 flying clubs whose headquarters are usually located at national or international airports. All these clubs are represented by the Real Aero Club de España, Tel: (91) 4298534 (afternoons only), which provides information on all activities and characteristics of its member clubs. Besides airports, Spain has 46 aerodromes. Most of them offer relatively little in the way of recreational flying, with the notable exceptions of Ampuriabrava (Girona), Castellon, La Cerdeña (Girona Pyrenees), Fuentemilanos (Segovia), Igualada (Barcelona), Muchamiel (Alicante) and Sanchidrian (Avila). Practically all of these are private and have their own flying clubs. Finally the Direccion General de Aviacion Civil (Civil Aviation Office), which is part of the Ministry for Public Works and Transport, manages 9 aerodromes, among them Ocaña (Toledo), Monflorite (Huesca) and Somosierra (Madrid). At these aerodromes are official schools run by the Civil Aviation Office which is the only organisation in Spain authorised to grant recreational flying diplomas. There are five categories: Hang Gliding, para gliding, aviation, gliding and parachuting. To obtain flying credentials in Spain one must have a licence from the

FENDA

(Federacion Española de Deportes Aereos),

Ferraz 16,

28008 Madrid

TEL. (91) 547 5922

Trislander
15th Feb 2002, 15:41
I thought that the international aviation language was English??? Shouldn't they be using it all the time??

Tri

Sensible
15th Feb 2002, 23:52
When in Rome etc. but all that asides, Malaga controllers use English but other airports around especially the small ones are not always able to communicate in English at all. Local pilots all speak in Spanish. Aeroclub Bahia de Malaga was a pretty good set up whe I flew with them, they gave me an hour builder free of charge as a safety pilot who was able to do the RT when it became problematical.

Running off at a slight tangent, I was fortunate to ride in the jumpseat of a BA 747 into Mexico City last year and ATC there were speaking both English and Spanish.

I seem to remember a crash at Orly in France a couple of years back where the failure to use English by the controllers was blamed for the accident.