PDA

View Full Version : Where to Learn?

bobbydazzler84
12th Jun 2010, 11:13
Hi,

I have a few months off work this summer - and I am looking to do an intensive course to obtain a JAA PPL. Where is the best place to get that done.

US?

UK?

Anywhere else

How much can I expect to pay?
Is there a list of schools somewhere. I have heard bad things about Ormond school in the US? What is the issue with them?

Thanks!

flyhigh3500mb
14th Jun 2010, 13:37
fixed or rotary?

AndoniP
14th Jun 2010, 14:34
go to your local school. whereabouts are you based?

use a search engine to look up flying schools around your area / london.

i use cabair but there are loads of others around the M25. it all depends on what you want really. are you looking for recommendations? because you haven't told us where you are.

welliewanger
15th Jun 2010, 16:48
If you must complete it in a short time frame, then go to America. But when you get back, do a bit of flying with an instructor.

Ideally, I'd train in the UK. There's less room for error here; procedurally, navigationally and meteorologically. All this can be "taught" anywhere, but can only really be "learnt" through real life application.

As for the price: The headline figure for training in America is always cheaper, but after adding all the extra costs, I'm not sure which is cheaper.

feduke
24th Jun 2010, 15:07
"A few months?" I hope you already have flight experience if not a license. Anyone that can promise "a few months" I wouldn't trust if I were starting from the beginning.

downwind24
24th Jun 2010, 16:11
"A few months?" I hope you already have flight experience if not a license. Anyone that can promise "a few months" I wouldn't trust if I were starting from the beginning.

Why would you not get a PPL 'In Months' ? I know a guy who finished in 23 days in America. Or did you think it said ATPL??

lander66
24th Jun 2010, 16:45
A PPL can be gotten in as little as one month intensively (providing you are ready for you written exams). This would be minimum hours (45) but it is certainly doable. I know that there is a residential PPL course at Clacton Aero Club, Essex, with a 3 week duration. Reasonable price as well.

Clacton - Clacton Aero Club :: Prices (http://www.clactonaeroclub.co.uk/prices.htm)

nh2301
25th Jun 2010, 02:25
I've trained a number of students to private pilot in a month. It's very reasonable for a motivated student. One did his instrument rating the next month.

Peers Carter
2nd Jul 2010, 10:54
If you live arround the northern part of the M25 try Elstree or Denham but be wary of parting with too much money upfront in the present econmic climate

Halfwayback
2nd Jul 2010, 11:12
Sound advice from PC above regarding paying in advance!

Once you have shown an initial commitment to a school then I'm an advocate of 'Pay as you go'

HWB

PS moving this to Private flying as it 'sits' more easily amongst the PPL world.