PDA

View Full Version : SLMG to SSEA and taildragger

daveandg
10th Jun 2010, 20:52
This is a plea for help to all those in the know about cross validation requirements between SLMG and SSEA, and the tail dragger sign off. Im about to complete an SLMG NPPL scholarship, and due to current gliding experience this will be done in a 12 hour stint. I also have 27hrs previously on C152, but not since 2007.

My question: As my training will be on a TMG that has a tail dragger configuration (Grob 109/Faulke), following differences training onto SSEA do I need to then complete a tail dragger course to fly what is in essence the same configuration, just on a different category? In my humble opinion it would make no sense for this to be the case, as I have been trained by an instructor to land an aircraft using the tail dragger technique. But then common sense rarely prevails in the industry with regards to red tape!

Also, with difference training im strugling to find clarity on the actual process of cross-crediting. According to www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk):
"The holder of a valid NPPL with SLMG Class Rating or UK PPL (A) SLMG who wishes to obtain a SSEA Class Rating shall: Produce log book evidence of having satisfactorily completed SSEA conversion training with a FI(A) or CRI(SPA) on single-engine piston aeroplanes."
Is there an actual guideline/minimum amount for SSEA conversion? With the previous 27hrs SSEA, and the 12hrs SLMG, I dont think i'd need much more instruction. I've been offered a share in a Jodel, so any further training outside of my scholarship will eat into the lump of money saved for my initial buy-in.

Please do not think of me as arrogant for my assumptions, I genuinely seek guidance on the issue. I just dont want to throw money at training which is only required for the sake of a rubber stamp! I appreciate the differences/ratings stem from the pursuit of safe flying, but if a pilot can fly according to the standard then I dont think the signing off should be a long winded affair when it really doesnt need to be! Please help!

BEagle
10th Jun 2010, 21:58
1. Tailwheel differences training is applicable to the SSEA Class Rating only. If you wish to fly a tailwheel SSEA, you will need to complete differences training on that aircraft irrespective of your SLMG experience.

2. There is no defined training course for adding an SSEA Class Rating to a NPPL(SLMG) as the requirements will vary according to the applicant's previous experience and ability. However, the CFI/Head of Training at the training organisation must countersign your application; to do this he/she must be assured that you have been assessed as meeting the standard required to pass the SSEA GST, although you do not actually need to take the test. So basically all you need to do is complete sufficient training for the CFI/HoT to be confident that you meet the SSEA GST standard.