PDA

View Full Version : From JB to Private Flying!

Maxbert
10th Jun 2010, 16:17
Well, after 6 years of PPRuNeing, an inheritance and an impending mid-life crisis, I have just signed up for flight school :ok:

(MODS not sure if this should be in Medical or Private Flying...?)

Luxembourg flight schools have only recently adopted JAR licenses (I will read up on these), but my (first) question is re. the JAR Class 2 medical- I have the medical on Monday, and the doc. emailed me the prescription for a blood test which also checks cholesterol, both LDL and HDL- I have cholesterol in abundance (the wrong sort, natch...) and my GP put me on statins recently, for life, according to him. High cholesterol runs in the family, and my 8 yo is already at 220...

Is high cholesterol a no-no for a class 2 JAR medical, or something to be monitored? As far as I know, the rest of me is basically OK...

Many thanks,

Maxbert

flybymike
10th Jun 2010, 17:15
I have been flying for 27 years and although I have urinated in countless test bottles (and one or two on board the aircraft) I don't recall EVER having had to have a blood test for anything at all (although I may have had one for the initial medical which is a bit more thorough than renewals and I have simply forgotten about any blood test at that time)
I know pilots who take statins and as far as I am aware the UK CAA and UK AMEs are entirely happy about it.

Private flying is an excellent way to demolish an inheritance.

Pilot DAR
10th Jun 2010, 17:51
I've been flying for 34 years, and never had a blood test, or cholesterol count to my knowledge.

Private flying is an excellent way to demolish an inheritance

or rather... relocate it!

Ryan5252
10th Jun 2010, 17:53
I don't recall EVER having had to have a blood test for anything at all (although I may have had one for the initial medical which is a bit more thorough than renewals and I have simply forgotten about any blood test at that time)

Yeah, they take prick at the initial. I remember because a) it wasn't that long ago and b) I ruined a decent white shirt due to the blood pi$$ing everywhere!! AME: "I must have hit an artery" No s:mad:t!

Maxbert
10th Jun 2010, 18:03
Well, the dear secretary at the club did insist that pre-JAR, things were done differently, but now blood test is part and parcel... We shall see.

Interstingly though, there seem to be only 2 docs in Luxembourg to administer the JAR medical- I phoned this afternoon around three-ish for an appointment, it's on Monday! Imagine if I had been ill :E

The inheritance... Well, I don't plan on buying a plane, hereabouts a VFR JAR PPL with 45 hours and theory will weigh in at around 8,500 EUR- Course, I may get nowhere at all... :(

Maxbert