View Full Version : Suspension of conditional clearances - Glasgow ATC trial

grim_up_north
9th Jun 2010, 22:26
For over six months Glasgow ATC has been conducting a trial, whereby conditional clearances cannot be issued to a/c or vehicles wishing to enter or cross the runway. Although there has been a lot of debate about the merits of this trial on unit, there appears to have been very little pilot feedback. Do any pilots out there wish to comment on the trial, or express their opinion (either positive or negative)? Are there any ATCOs who have participated in a similar trial who could add to the debate? Of particular interest...

* Is it preferable for pilots to be given a conditional line-up clearance with a landing a/c still on final, or to be told to "hold at A1" and lined up once the a/c has landed? Is there any real difference in terms of situational awareness/coming to a complete standstill at the holding point/final checks etc?

*How do pilots feel about instructions to enter the runway being given as they start their take off roll or are in the flare? Is this potential distraction mitigated by pre-fixing such instructions with a holding point, eg "At A1, line-up and wait"?

*For a queue of a/c waiting to depart...during the trial we can only clear you to line-up when the a/c ahead is rolling or airborne. Does this have any impact?

The trial has thus far been conducted during a period of unusually quiet traffic. It is due to continue throughout the summer, and will no doubt become a permanent procedure if it is deemed to be "safer" than the alternative. In the interests of a fair trial, would pilots please consider expressing their opinions either on this forum, through their ops department or directly to Glasgow ATC. Any opinions on potential safety impact, either positive or negative, would be hugely valuable.

Thank you in advance

Grim

Piltdown Man
10th Jun 2010, 17:59
From where I sit, ATC clearances appear to given by people who think about what they are doing. Removing one of their tools from the toolbox is a pointless and retrograde step undertaken by some numptie in management. Controllers are not obliged to give conditional clearances them and the controllers in GLA are well above average so I'll bet a pound to pinch of poo that someone somewhere is looking for a brown nose points or a promotion.

PM

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jun 2010, 18:11
This is being discussed elsewhere but very well said, Piltdown Man. I think you've hit it right on the (brown) nose!!

TOWTEAMBASE
10th Jun 2010, 18:18
does it not cut down the chances of having an incursion. If you are told to hold short, then you will hold short, if you misunderstand a conditional, then you could find yourself lining up in front of the wrong Ryanair. I know it keeps the ball rolling but may be safer ?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jun 2010, 21:18
As I said elsewhere, how come it has worked perfectly safely at busy airports for decades? There has to be a reason why it has been decided that it is no longer safe?