PDA

View Full Version : Donegal

The Flying Stool
9th Jun 2010, 21:33
Hi All,

I'm considering a trip to Donegal(free landing voucher in this month's 'Pilot' magazine) from Eshott in Northumberland. Information on the place seems a bit vague apart from the official sources so I was wondering if anyone has any experience of flying into Donegal?

I'm also a little confused as to who to speak to on the way over once I have crossed into the Shannon FIR. Can I talk to Scottish info over Northern Ireland? I've so far been unable to obtain any frequencies for Shannon other then the Upper level frequencies.

Finally, having never flown VFR in Ireland, is there any specific paperwork I need to complete before heading over apart from a VFR Flight Plan and a GAR form from HMRC?

Thanks in advance

Adam

Ryan5252
9th Jun 2010, 22:26
Hi Adam,

Not sure who you should be talking to on the way over but when you get into NI Aldergrove App are very helpful and should be able to give you a basic service to the Shannon FIR. From there the route I take as I find is the most scenic is via Killybegs on the South west of Donegal county then northwards to EIDL. Shannon are generally helpful but coverage around Donegal is marginal at best under 3000. If you don't manage to make contact with them make sure you advise Donegal on contact and ask that they call Shannon to advise. I would be wary of coming in from the north east as there are some high mountains up to about 1800 - 2000' so this is an area you want to be familiar with or have perfect VMC.

Donegal itself is great wee airport with a nice cafe for a coffee in the terminal. The ATCO's are very helpful and there is a beach which runs parallel to the runway which makes for a nice walk in the afternoon. Airport facilities are top notch and AVGAS is available. Bit of dip in the runway though! :}

I intend on using the landing voucher before the month is out also, but you may also be interested to know that touch and goes are free so you may do one or two when coming in or going out so you can really appreciate the scenery. Worth a pop over to sligo when your in the area another great spot. Also, Enniskillen is only 30 minutes away and with a beautiful Maule M7 on amphibious floats you could end of the trip with half hour on the lakes!

If you need anymore info feel free to PM me.

Cheers
Ryan

EDIT: There is a form Donegal request you to fill in for arriving UK flights (which I think is on their website if you take a look, if not I can get a copy for you) and of course a standard flight plan as crossing the FIR.

dublinpilot
10th Jun 2010, 08:48
Shannon Info frequency for the whole of the Republic of Ireland (below FL75) is 127.5mhz. They provide a radar derived flight information service.

If under the Dublin CTA, then you'd use one of the Dublin frequencies rather than Shannon, but your description doesn't suggest that you'll be under the Dublin CTA.

When over NI, you can use Belfast City, Belfast Aldergrove, or Scottish info (Frequencies shown on the CAA chart).

As for customs, I'm not sure. All custom in Ireland is local agreements, so you should contact Donegal airport and ask what their arrangements are.

Donegal airport if nice, and ATC is very friendly (Don't let the class C put you off...it's not busy!). As Ryan says, there is a lovely beach right beside the airport. But apart from that, there is nothing else within walking / reasonable taxi distance.

You'll neither either friends with transport, a rental car (often cheaper to hire directly at the airport desk) or an awful lot of time and a definate plan of where you want to go.

dp

jonkil
10th Jun 2010, 22:11
DP says it all really.
If you cross up north from Scotland to Larne then it will be Scottish FIR (Hi Fishbangwallop) on 119.875 and handed over to Belfast City on 130.85 when coasting out. You will be passed on to Aldrogrove on 128.5 when West of Belfast city. As you go further west you may be handed over to Eglington on 123.625 or Shannon on 127.5..... however Shannon will be a problem this far north. General rule of thumb will be a handover to Donegal on 129.80 when crossing the FIR, you will be west of Letterkenny before you can "work" them.
If you cross from Wales to Eire then it will be London to Shannon direct.
Donegal airport is a wonderful little airport, not busy, extremely friendly bunch there and stunning scenery. You will need an Irish GAR form and Customs will be notified when you file it, again it is laid back and you wont be inconvenienced at all.
The GAR forms and other forms are available from my airfields site at http://www.RuskeyAirfield.com (http://www.ruskeyairfield.com/) , the Irish GAR also has the Fuel tax drawback attached.
If you require any more information then drop me an e-mail from the site, happy to help if I can, and Ireland is a wonderful country to fly in, mostly class G with quite a laid back attitude to flying. I live in Donegal, but at the other side of the county near the Northern Ireland border.

Good luck with your trip.

Jon

Kiltie
10th Jun 2010, 22:31
I flew a charter in there in the late 1990s. I recall the runway wasn't easy to spot from the north east. Surrounding undulating ground as I remember.....they have a localiser (if not ILS by now) which saved me from making a fool of myself.

ridinggirl
6th Dec 2010, 16:26
Hi there
Just looking at a few plates and came across this saved:http://www.vateir.com/Charts/EIDL/EI_AD_2_EIDL_24-5_en.pdf
Could someone advise how to establish on the approach after the hold?
Thanks
Vx

mde
6th Dec 2010, 16:38
If flying inside Ireland a flight plan is required to enter any controlled airspace

Jan Olieslagers
6th Dec 2010, 17:19
If flying inside Ireland a flight plan is required to enter any controlled airspace
and not in Ireland only

Radar
6th Dec 2010, 19:11
Could someone advise how to establish on the approach after the hold?

I'd suggest using the missed approach profile.

JOE-FBS
6th Dec 2010, 19:24
I flew there (from Newtownards) in April, my first foreign destination. Marvellous location, parallel to the beach in a beautiful corner of north west Ireland, it's worth going just for the views in and out. NDB and TDME to help you find it. 1300 metres of tarmac. It's in a class C zone with just one controlling frequency. There is commercial traffic (an Eastern Jetstream departed and an Aer Arran ATR arrived and departed in the half hour we were there) but no trouble going in or out, just a normal downwind join and a no delay departure. GA parking next to the terminal, no formalities other than a customs form which was pretty much the same as a UK GAR. Small cafe on site. Sadly, we were delayed arriving by a weather divert (to a very helpful Londonderry / Derry / Eglinton) so didn't have time to leave the airfield, we had fancied a taxi to the beach which looked glorious. I have been told since that there is no need for a taxi because the beach is less than a 1 minute walk from the front gate of the airport

Avgas available, 12 Euro to cover landing and two hours parking. No handling charge for non-commercial movements even though someone was on hand to lead us out and help my less than mobile Dad into the aircraft.

Another airfield rated "highly recommended" by me!

Full details here:

Donegal Airport Technical Information, Carrickfinn, County Donegal, Ireland (http://www.donegalairport.ie/Technical.htm)

noblue
6th Dec 2010, 22:33
Donegal is a brilliant destination, worth it just for the walk on the beach. Yes,the runway really is a bit hard to spot from the NE, especially with low sun, but you can't go wrong if you tune in the Localizer or use GPS. Do be aware of the mountains not far to the East of the Airport, which can produce some 'interesting' turbulence if the wind is from the South or East.

I suggest routing direct across Northern Ireland. Aldergrove Approach provide a good ATSOCAS as far as Eglinton. Do note the new Eglinton CTA - Class C within the Shannon FIR - and note the VMC criteria that apply therein up to FL75. Eglinton will clear you through and usually hand you off to Shannon Low Level, but as you are in Class G at that point I often just pick up the Donegal ATIS and then call them up directly.

Finally, remember to use the semi-circular rule for VFR in the Shannon FIR.