PDA

View Full Version : 10/11 July Try Gliding at Lee on Solent

Mike Cross
8th Jun 2010, 22:33
July 10/11 are two days when you can try gliding at Lee as a guest of Portsmouth Naval Gliding Club. An aerotow to 2000 ft will be £38 so for that you not only get to fly a glider but also practice some formation flying as well!

You can fly in (on the ground by 10:00, no departures before 16:00 please)

http://www.eghf.co.uk/images/stories/Random320x240/IMG_5354.jpg

Click here (http://www.eghf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=133&catid=67) for details and to book yourself in. Places are limited to ensure that we can fly everyone who wants to participate.

Mike

Mike Cross
14th Jun 2010, 13:31
bumped back to the top

cessnapete
14th Jun 2010, 17:58
I tried to get into Lee- O- S for the recent Fly-In. As requested E mailed off Insurance, Passport, Pilots Licence nos etc. etc. etc.
Did not even get the courtesy of a reply to say no.
It all seems a load of trouble and B___S___to get into what is in reallity a little used airfield, when a quick PPR phone call or heavens forbid a call on the RT!!! should suffice.

Load Gone
14th Jun 2010, 19:45
I do not work for (or have anything to do with) Lee.
I cannot comment on the first sentence. However I can comment on the second, from experience.
A phone call or RT call maybe ok for a full time GA airfield, however when the "government" is involved in running the airfield, be it police or military, there is a lot of hard work involved by individuals to try and make GA happen and broaden the GA community. I see this as an opportunity to get another airfield in the book and to further "our" experiences as pilots.
A form with your details a few days before is a fraction of the paperwork that goes on behind the scenes by whoever is kind enough to organise these events....There is an absolute mountain of it! just to get someone to say "yes, in principle" is a triumph.
I hope (and I'm sure) your bad experience was a one off.
Cheers
LG

L'aviateur
14th Jun 2010, 21:04
First tried gliding last year having only flown SEP, was in Germany looking for aircraft rental and was invited to have a go. Have to say it was absolutely great fun, and enjoyed everyminute. But still prefer SEP for the kind of adventures that I like, but thats just a personal choice. Would recommend anyone have a go at this.

Mike Cross
16th Jun 2010, 07:06
Cessnapete

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. The requirement was to fill in and submit a web form, not to send an e-mail. If you drop me a PM with the details, i.e. your proper name and e-mail address I'll check through the records.

After submitting the form the following message was displayed
Thank you
The information has been sent to the event organiser and a copy has also been sent to the e-mail address you gave. You will receive a phone call with your PPR number during the week leading up to the event. If you have any query please contact Paul Coppin. His contact details can be located using the Contacts menu on the LFA Website at eghf.co.uk

The event was organised by Lee Flying Association, a not-for-profit organisation that raised some £20,000 to mount a legal challenge to fight the closure decision. We're unpaid volunteers but with the best will in the world it's always possible for errors to creep in.

The PPR and Crown Indemnity business is a requirement of the Aerodrome Operator. It's owned by the Department for Transport and operated by Hampshire Constabulary. We provide facilitation to make it easier but we can't override the owner's or operator's requirements.