PDA

View Full Version : How to rent a plane in Alaska

d00mfl1ght
8th Jun 2010, 15:51
Hi all,

I'm looking how to rent a plane in Alaska zone or Seattle area for this September.
I'll be there for holidays time and as I have a JAR PPL license I want to rent a plane to make a sort of a different tourism..... how this can be done? I hope not only schools have plane for students....
I've to decide if come in Alaska or Canadian East area ... looking
for informations.

Thanks for any help

Stefano

Capn Kangaroo
9th Jun 2010, 19:59
Hi Stefano

You don't say what sort of a plane you're looking to rent ...

Float plane?
Cirrus?
Twin?

There are a lot of schools and rental outfits from Seattle to Bellingham and in between ... It really depends on the sort of kite you're after!

:)

d00mfl1ght
9th Jun 2010, 20:28
Hi,

sorry for my incomplete information.. I'm looking for a single engine aircraft, fixed gear. Usually I fly with diamond DA40 and DA20, both glass cockpit and standard one or piper PA28. Better is GPS equipped.
I'm interested in the possibility to keep plane overnight.

What about to get my JAR license valid for a small period in USA?

Thanks
Ste

QDMQDMQDM
9th Jun 2010, 22:07
Stefano,

Post the question on the supercub.org site. It is absolutely full of Alaskans.

Best,

David

Maoraigh1
10th Jun 2010, 20:25
You have to contact the FAA, specifying an FAA District Office, and get your national aviation regulator to verify your licence to the FAA first. (Check FAA website). They will eventually send you a letter giving details of how to contact your specified FAA office (FSDO). You will have several months in which to visit the FSDO in person.
I rented a C152 from Fairbanks many years ago, with the same procedure as in Colorado, S.Dakota, Oklahoma, and Montana. Just a check flight with an instructor However there may be restraints on taking the aircraft to some areas. I was offered a survival kit if I wanted to do so.
Unfortunately, one of the FBO's C152s was going for an annual, and someone damaged another, so rental became restricted for the rest of my time there, and I flew less than I had hoped.

Maoraigh1
11th Jun 2010, 20:20
"Just a check flight" - I had already been checked out that year in Colorado, with a full signed off biennial.