PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Canada for tourism .... and MEP

d00mfl1ght
7th Jun 2010, 11:35
Hello all,

I'm a privat pilot with JAA license issued in switzerland. I'm trying to find two information about flying in Canada for leisure....

1. How local law let me to rent an aircraft to fly in CA?
2. How can I rent an aircraft in CA ?

I've about two week to spend for holidays at the end of september and only for personal interest I want to spend them in a soft of flying tourism...

Also, there's any suggestion to take MEP in canada with my JAA and keep this recognized in Europe?

Thanks
Stefano

Rhys Perraton
7th Jun 2010, 18:05
Here is an extract from the Transport Canada website:

Foreign Applicants - Flight Crew Licensing - General Aviation - Personnel Training & Licensing - Air Transportation - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-personnel-fore-2283.htm)

Recreational Flying in Canada: Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC)

A foreign pilot licence of a visitor whose residence is outside Canada may be validated for private recreational purposes. The foreign pilot licence must be valid under the law of the issuing state and valid for the privileges appropriate to the specific purpose.
An applicant may apply for a Foreign licence Validation Certificate (FLVC) before arriving in Canada. The FLVC will be issued for a period of one year at which time the applicant may choose to renew it, or apply for a permanent Canadian Pilot Licence.
The applicant may fax a copy of their pilot licence and their valid Medical Certificate to one of Transport Canada’s Regional offices.
There is a licensing fee of $45 Cdn. applicable that may be paid by a certified cheque, money order or credit card number, (the cheque should be made payable to ("The Receiver General for Canada").

d00mfl1ght
7th Jun 2010, 18:10
That's good. Nice to hear. And regarding rent a plane... where and how can I find some information? For example, in Italy only privateaviation clubs rent planes and is really expansive. In swiss, where I took my PPL, ususally FTO rent planes and there're no particular rule..

Regarding MEP..it's possible with my JAA license take course for MEP in Canada?

Thanks
Ste

CaptW5
8th Jun 2010, 23:08
Most flying clubs and flight training organizations have rentals, but their policies all differ.

Try the ATAC website for some direction. Most (but not all) outfits are members:
Introduction (http://www.atac.ca/en/learn_to_fly/index.html)
There might be others as well.

By MEP, do you mean multi-engine endorsement?
Here MEP means 'Maintenance Enforcement Program', which is (mostly....) not aviation related.

d00mfl1ght
9th Jun 2010, 05:28
MEP - MultiEngine Pistons ...

Yes... I can take in canada it with my JAA license and then get it recognized in Europe?

Thanks
Ste

aphelio
12th Jun 2010, 20:57
MEP rating has to be endorsed to a licence, if you undergo a training for your MEP....in canada..youŽd need a canadian licence, unless you find an school which endorses and issues JAA licences.

Personal advice: take your MEP under JAA, converting it to TC (transport canada :}) is much easier than other way around, and much cheaper. From TC to JAA youŽll pay the conversion as doing JAA from beginning

expensive holidays if planning your MEP to fly multiengines...:cool::cool:;)

au revoir!