PDA

View Full Version : Mode-S in Europe

pplir2000
6th Jun 2010, 13:38
Having read the "official" words that Mode-S is mandatory in Germany,Belgium and Denmark for VFR/iFR, and that I have a trip coming up to Germany, I was surprised that a Danish pilot that I met recently,and who flies regularly in these three countries, stated that he does not have Mode-S and has never experienced any problem with the authorities. Does anyone have any recent experience to confirm or deny his claims?

IO540
6th Jun 2010, 13:51
You can get around VFR without Mode S.

IFR (Eurocontrol flight plans) it is mandatory in most places in Europe.

Which is not to say one cannot "get around"; ATC are hardly going to pull your IFR clearance halfway through the flight, and anyway most ATC units are not Mode S equipped.

AEST
6th Jun 2010, 14:59
I think someone from Holland really should answer this one :}

BackPacker
6th Jun 2010, 15:45
I think someone from Holland really should answer this one

I was about to, until I realised that the OP wasn't really asking about Holland...:ok:

But now you're asking: In Holland, above 1200', mode-S is mandatory for all powered flight, VFR and IFR. Even non-powered flight needs mode-S in a lot of cases, or be severely restricted in the area of operations. And yes, all ATC Dutch units are mode-S equipped (100% coverage) so they will notice.

gasax
6th Jun 2010, 20:36
The 'official' words are that it is not required. Even the CAA have links to the various authorities - where for instance Belgium says 'not until Jan 201?. The relevent AIPs do give the correct details.

London Flyer
7th Jun 2010, 01:21
VFR is still possible in Germany without Mode S.

However, note that Mode S is mandatory for the following VFR flights from 31 March 2008:
- all flights in Class C or D airspace (but not CTR) or in a TMZ
- all flights with motor-driven aircraft above 5000 ft AMSL
- all flights by night in controlled airspace.