PDA

View Full Version : Met exam

vw_nutter
6th Jun 2010, 10:23
Hi

I'm currently revising for my meteorology exam having now passed air law, navigation and human factors with marks over 90% :) Trouble is I have now read the Trevor Thom book all the way through and had a bash at the confuser (9th ed.). It seems that there are loads of gaps in my knowledge as some of the questions are not covered in the Thom book? Has anyone else found this? I didn't have any problems with the other exams as they matched the Thom books pretty well. I would never just go by learning the confuser as I think this just gives you a surface knowledge which makes you a worse pilot for it. I think I'm just going to have to learn the confuser as well but it just seems like a memory test.

Any advice gratefully received!

Ryan5252
6th Jun 2010, 10:29
VW,

Firslty congrats on making steadfast progress through the exams and second for the consistently high scores! I only used Thom for my Air Law and found it to be ok.
I used Pratt (AFE) for all the others and found these to be much simpler and suited my style of learning. Everyone is different in their preference but you may be able to find someone at your club who would be kind enough to lend you their book to see how you feel with it and then perhaps invest in a copy yourself?

Not sure if it helps or not but I found most of Met to be incredibly boring, this may be a factor for you and not so much the book?

Anyway best of luck i'm sure it will work out ok.

vw_nutter
6th Jun 2010, 10:36
Hi Ryan

Thanks for the reply. I already have the Pratt books which I use as a reference alongside the Thom books. I've tended to stick to Thom as thats what I've used up until now. I'll just have to get on with it and keep reading!

batninth
6th Jun 2010, 11:47
vw_nutter,

I'm afraid that a lot of the Met is a memory test, but if you can borrow a copy of Brain Cosgrove's book: "Pilot's Weather" then he does explain some of the frontal stuff a lot better than Thom.

Also, if you're struggling with the Coriolis effect then there were a couple of YouTube videos that helped me to visualise what was going on.

If you look in the book "Propellerhead" by Anthony Woodward, towards the end he talks about his experience with Met of being able to read the sky. So enjoy doing this, whilst the exam is a bit fo a drag, you'll gather experience and be able to do this yourself soon so look forward to it & view the exam as a step on the way.

Crash one
6th Jun 2010, 16:52
VWAny subject is a bit boring if it's not your "thing"Congratulations so far!.The weather yesterday was a scorcher, I took off with 3/4 tanks & a passenger, well inside the weight limit. The trees & power cables at the end of the runway were not a nice sight at that height!! The temperature & lack of wind made a BIG difference. Boring subject? yes, but well worth the effort. It will be of more practical use than Air law.