PDA

View Full Version : Phenix Autogyro Testflight

rokami93
5th Jun 2010, 21:26
I was allowed to testfly the new Phenix Gyrocopter a week ago.

dyfXutcMo04

Genghis the Engineer
5th Jun 2010, 21:38
So do we get a debrief then?

Was this its first flight? Over on flight test you'll find a ready audience for how you planned and executed that. Or here doubtless.

How does the tractor prop compare to the almost universal pusher prop on gyros?

G

rokami93
6th Jun 2010, 07:35
So do we get a debrief then? Of course. I wasn't sure if anybody was interested.

Was this its first flight?Nope. The prototype had 20 hours on the clock when I flew it. The first flights were performed by the builders. It seems that especially the rotor balancing took them some time.

For right now there are still some minor adjustments, mainly to kill some vibrations from the rotor which is not the production rotor, so we need to see what it is like then. Also, the current rotor is a bit too big for the gyro and the prerotation currently gives 230 rpms "only". They say it will be increased, but need to change a few parts when exchanging the rotor blades.

Over on flight test you'll find a ready audience for how you planned and executed that. Or here doubtless.The flight didn't have to be planned at all as I trusted Carlos, the builder and a flight instructor sat at the right seat and instructed me.

You can see the scarier moments of the first flights also on youtube, but I wasn't involved. cRO03b1At7k

How does the tractor prop compare to the almost universal pusher prop on gyros?The tractor configuration eliminates a few problems: the cooling and centerline of thrust issues. Now, did I notice either thing? No. The cooling needs to be improved as for right now it is too efficient and they will need to install radiator blinds to be able to keep temperatures up in colder countries. During my 20 minutes test flight with 26 °C air temperature, the temperatures were constant, but they had taped a smaller part of the radiator.

Now, from what I could tell on the tractor prop configuration, you can fly it more by intuition and it feels more natural.

I was very surprised that the Phenix gives even a taller 6ft3 guy like me sufficient space, head room and space for legs and knees although it has huge panel. The baggage area is as spacious and is designed for up to 30 kgs of luggage.

Everything else felt like other gyrocopters I have flown with: very short landing, a bit longer for takeoff, tight turns and steep approaches. Max speeds flown maybe 120-140 kms/h. I must admit I wasn't too interested as I knew that the final configuration will improve the current specifications.

The Phenix has another nice feature: a parachute in its tail. Although I was critical at first, I am now convinced it gives the pilot a second chance when he messes up or has a midair collision. Last but not least, pilot failure is the most common cause for gyrocopter accidents.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Jun 2010, 08:37
Of course we're interested, and thanks!

Interesting that you found distinct advantages in the tractor configuration, given the modern prevelence of pusher gyroplanes. How did it affect the comfort in the cockpit - similar, or were the noise and wind effects substantially greater?

On your video, the take-off roll seemed rather long - presumably there's no pre-rotator? Any idea why not?, or is that a temporary issue.

Ballistic 'chutes do make sense, particularly given the (at-least here in the UK) shockingly poor safety record of gyroplanes - I'd have thought that the main concern is negative-g induced loss of rotor speed. But, even then you've got the non-trivial problem of dealing with the risk of the BRS loom snarling in the main rotor blades and hub. Do you think they've adequately dealt with that?

G

(Declaring my hand slightly, I've somehow manager never to have actually flown a gyroplane - but I'm an airworthiness engineer and had a few occasions over the years to work on gyroplane design, testing and approvals.)

rokami93
6th Jun 2010, 09:41
Interesting that you found distinct advantages in the tractor configuration, given the modern prevelence of pusher gyroplanes.It seems logical to be a safer way of flying a gyrocopter as the tractor configuration is more stable and less probable to get the gyro into negative g's.

How did it affect the comfort in the cockpit - similar, or were the noise and wind effects substantially greater?I couldn't notice any difference on the noise in the cockpit, but I have never flown in a closed gyrocopter before. The closed cockpit itself gives a lot of comfort as you are not exposed to wind and weather. Again, the size itself is impressive and I would say it is bigger than the cockpit of my Diamond DA40.

On your video, the take-off roll seemed rather long - presumably there's no pre-rotator? Any idea why not?, or is that a temporary issue.You are right and I have asked the builder the same. His answers are:

1. we had a t/o weight of 550 kgs. (fully tanked, I weigh 100 kgs myself, the rotor is too heavy as it was taken from a South-African 3- or 4-seater gyroplane and will be replaced soon)
2. The prerotator was rotated only to 230 rpms because it is too small for the heavier and longer rotor blades. The production prerotator should give 280-300 rpm, so say the guys from Phenix, and thus reduce take-off roll
3. The video was taken with a wide angle lens of my Nikon D90 and appears a bit longer than it actually was, an estimated 180 metres
4. The runway itself was quite a bumpy field with patches of grass and earth. Not really ideal to show short take off capacities.

Ballistic 'chutes do make sense, particularly given the (at-least here in the UK) shockingly poor safety record of gyroplanes - I'd have thought that the main concern is negative-g induced loss of rotor speed. Gyrocopters are so easy to fly for plane pilots that people don't focus enough on a solid training. As you mentioned correctly, these pilots are not enough prepared to avoid negative g at all times and that's when the chutes can give you a second chance.

At first, I said "Hey, these people need to learn to fly" as I usually say about pilots who think that planes with parachutes are the solution to any other headache of practicing and learning to fly your plane. But on the other hand, on a plane you can learn to get out of a stall and have more options than with a gyrocopter which has had a mid air collision or when negative-g leads to a loss of control. Here a parachute will save the pilot's life. No need to be arrogant about it and keep nagging on better education at this point. (I am saying this to myself)

But, even then you've got the non-trivial problem of dealing with the risk of the BRS loom snarling in the main rotor blades and hub. Do you think they've adequately dealt with that?Have you seen where the parachute is installed? In the very rear of the tail and I would think that is the only point where I would trust that the risk of catching a rotor blade is near zero. Nevertheless, the builders had assistance from the manufacturer engineers and their own engineer who re-calculated the entire structure, including engine mounts, panel, seat belts, etc. to be able to deal with the event of chute deployment and the landing impact afterwards.

As always, they haven't found anyone who wants to test it.. :E