PDA

View Full Version : Ground School - time & tactics...

AnotherPPLwannabe
4th Jun 2010, 10:39
I've signed up to do an intensive JAR PPL in the US in a couple of months. I've no intentions of going ATPL, but maybe down the distant path a CPL but at the moment this is more for the challenge of something new. (I'm 41)

However, today in a library, I thumbed through some 2nd ed of Pratt's books - and to say I was daunted was probably appropriate.

The school I'm doing it with seems to use the Thom lot of books, but not too sure how much difference it makes as long as you know the stuff.

To try to complete the practical flying in decent time period requires me to have done most of the study (c. 80%) before I get near to the school.

I know that people learn at different rates etc., but what how did you all tackle it - just plod through the books in order and how much time do you reckon you devoted to it - especially interested in the experiences of those who've done the intensive approach as well as over many months (or years!)

The weight of the books alone was scary enough and it is more the physics of flying than the laws that has me pondering at the moment...

BackPacker
4th Jun 2010, 12:37
to have done most of the study (c. 80%) before I get near to the school.

Wrong. You will not have any significant time left to do any study while over there. So you should aim for having done 100% of your studies, including some significant time with the PPL confuser/simplifyer/whatever before you arrive at the school.

I'm a fast learner, but I spent about two months, three nights a week for two hours each with the books beforehand. But I did find the subjects (even air law:eek:) fascinating and that helps a lot.

Whether you use the Thom or Pratt (AFE) books really doesn't matter. Choose the set that fits your personal style of learning. But in the end the CAA exams you've got to make are the same.

RedKnight
4th Jun 2010, 14:00
Based on the Pratt (AFE) books, I did my ground exams extremely intensively - two exams per week and all seven exams done in under a month. This was on top of balancing a full workload at university. I found that using pplquiz.co.uk was very effective in consolidating my knowledge, highlighting the key areas of the syllabus, and preparing me for the exams.

AnotherPPLwannabe
5th Jun 2010, 05:47
Thanks guys - the 80% figure is the one the school suggested. My intention was to try to be 100% ready to take the exams in the first few days as I want to be able to get on with the practical side.

I've managed to track down a ppl confuser online and had a go on the pplquiz demo, both of which hopefully will be useful.

On a further study note, did you guys just self study from the books or did you use other online stuff, maybe videos classes etc.

I'm thinking that learning stuff like the 'flight computer' are easier to learn by demonstration.

All suggestions welcome - though as I am backpacking at the moment, online and pdf stuff would be great as carrying a hard copy library around the Far East isn't a fun prospect...

BackPacker
5th Jun 2010, 18:52
I just used the books. But I'm a professional instructor (not aviation related though) and well used to self-study.

I also found the flight computer a doddle, but then I've had one year of University-level math and I don't find logaritms particularly foreign, plus I already had a nautic navigation diploma. So the underlying principles of the flight computer were well known to me.

Katamarino
5th Jun 2010, 20:17
I did none of the study before heading out to the US for my PPL, although I was halfway through an Engineering degree so the theory was not exactly difficult; I'd also been interested in flying for a while, and so I was familiar with the basics through Flight Sim. I studied for an hour or so a day as well as flying, and got it all done in 4-5 weeks.

The more I hear from different people about how they studied for this, the more I think that it's unique to the person. However, it's not going to hurt to do as much as you can in advance; you can never know too much! If you can do it all before you go, then you'll just be more relaxed while you're out there.