PDA

View Full Version : Does a american Garmin 530 work in europe??

eagle1raptor
1st Jun 2010, 21:29
Hi there!
I am currently looking at importing a TR182 from the US to europe. Just wondering wether anyone knows if the Garmin 530 installed in it will work in europe?

Thanks

rmac
1st Jun 2010, 22:12
AFIK, unlike the handhelds yes it will, you just need an "international" data base from Jepp and then upload it. I've just carried out the same procedure with a US EX500.

AEST
1st Jun 2010, 23:44
Nope, for Europe you need the far superior Galileo system expected to be ready for 2014 (or 2140) of the Eurocrats manage to heat up them soldering irons in time :ok:

IO540
2nd Jun 2010, 06:13
Aren't there some issues with Garmin cutting off people who bought direct from the USA, when it comes to upgrade pricing?

It isn't supposed to be possible to buy a new GNSx30 direct from the USA; nobody there (or here) is supposed to sell them without a bundled installation. But of course it is possible. Garmin try to stop it by not supporting such owners.

Honeywell also tried to stop it but have given up.

cessnapete
2nd Jun 2010, 19:33
Earlier this year picked up a Maule from Florida and flew to Atlanta for onward crating to UK.
Had extensive avionic upgrade in Tampa prior to import UK. Garmin 430W Aspen 1000 etc. All works perfectly in UK with European Data Base uploaded on arrival.

rmac
2nd Jun 2010, 21:08
540, my whole new panel is ex-US and installed in Europe. Its possible. For panel fits, rather than handhelds, the software transfer is simple and jepp gets the benefit ;)

The handhelds however :* in my view the competition authorities should leave microsoft alone and go after the avionics manufacturers..

ab33t
2nd Jun 2010, 22:24
Only thing that will not work is the weather

IO540
3rd Jun 2010, 06:24
UK-bought 496s did not contain the US weather modem; Garmin failed to tell people about that :)

172driver
3rd Jun 2010, 06:45
The handhelds however in my view the competition authorities should leave microsoft alone and go after the avionics manufacturers..

Care to explain why? I have swapped databases several times on mine (Garmin 96) without any hassle.