PDA

View Full Version : Old FAA piggyback licence - where do I stand?

tmmorris
31st May 2010, 19:24
I hold a 'piggyback' FAA PPL issued in 2002. It has on it just 'Airplane Single Engine Land' and the usual 'issued on basis of and valid only when accompanied by...'

The last time I did a BFR was in Apr 2006. The licence has the wrong address on it (though I think I did notify them of change of address) and is the old light grey cardboard one, with no photo. I haven't done anything about language proficiency certification.

Where do I stand? Is the thing completely worthless now or could I retrieve it if I went to the FSDO on my next trip to the USA (and did a BFR, obviously)? What would I need to take to the FSDO? Would I need a letter from the CAA first?

If it can't be retrieved, can I get a new piggyback licence issued or is it a one-shot deal?

Many thanks for any help... I find the FARs impenetrable though I did try...

Tim

S-Works
31st May 2010, 19:55
The only thing you can do with it now is wipe your bum. It has no LPR and is not plastic. Throw it away.

Fuji Abound
31st May 2010, 20:37
Why cant it be converted to a "new" OandW card?

dublinpilot
31st May 2010, 21:38
Once that is done, you can reapply for a new FAA plastic cert which will come with the English Lang proficiency annotated on it.

Just to clarify... It won't quite 'come'; you will have to go and collect it at the nominated FSDO. This will be a temporary one. Once you've collected that, then the plastic one will 'come' in the post a few months later.

dp

tmmorris
1st Jun 2010, 08:13
Thanks all (and thanks for the sarcasm SoCal App...)

I'll get on the case. When I originally obtained it (back in the heady days when no prior letter from the CAA was required!) I managed to combine the BFR with the flight to the local FSDO at Bradley and back; no doubt my friendly FBO can do the same.

And I'm sorry, but the FARs are impenetrable. So's the ANO; in both cases there are lots of nice easy books explaining the rules (indeed the FAA is excellent in this respect) but they don't cover the obscure bits...

Still, you're right that I will need to do some homework before the BFR. Last time I remember the ground school was all about airspace classifications because of the habit countries seem to have of using the same names for totally different airspace rules.

Tim

Edited to add:

I've looked at the process having reactivated my account on the FAA website. Clearly I have to fill in UK CAA forms 1160 and 1187 (no surprise) and send off £42. What I can't find is a form for applying for a replacement certificate on the FAA website - only the form for a new application (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/media/verify61-75.pdf). Is that right? Will that result in a complete new licence with a new number?

dublinpilot
1st Jun 2010, 12:06
There is no replacement available for piggy back certificates. You need to go through the full proceedure, which results in a new airmans certificate. I've no idea if it will retain the same number as before or not. (I *think* that it does, or that at least in my case it did, but now sure.)

dp

S-Works
1st Jun 2010, 13:14
Which brings us back to doh!! And exactly what I said at the start, what you have now is toilet paper. You have to start again.

dublinpilot
1st Jun 2010, 13:43
Which brings us back to doh!! And exactly what I said at the start, what you have now is toilet paper. You have to start again.

I wouldn't even say it was worth toilet paper, as it's too small of be of use as such! :}

IO540
1st Jun 2010, 15:16
I wouldn't even say it was worth toilet paper, as it's too small of be of use as such!

A lot of people on pilot forums have a very small rear opening, so I wouldn't write it off just yet.

fuzzy6988
1st Jun 2010, 15:26
A lot of people on pilot forums have a very small rear opening

Try eating a Vindaloo or Phaal. It could make it larger!!

ab33t
1st Jun 2010, 19:05
Just completed the process as above start over again as the paper one had an replace by date and BFR and language and and

Paris Dakar
3rd Jun 2010, 16:25
Tim,

What I can't find is a form for applying for a replacement certificate on the FAA website - only the form for a new application (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...erify61-75.pdf). Is that right?

That's the right form! I had a similar query a couple of weeks back and several of the posters on your thread provided me with some valuable advice.

I am looking to do a standalone FAA PPL but will renew my (now useless) Paper Piggybacked licence anyway for the sake of £42 to the CAA and a visit in person to Orlando FSDO.

Good luck

PD

Cusco
3rd Jun 2010, 17:48
Don't forget you can do it all over here with a FAA designated DPE for the payment of a (fairly substantial) sum of dosh, removing the need for a trip to USA............

Cusco

PS tm where were you when all this was being extensively discussed/deadlines extended 2-3 years ago?

tmmorris
5th Jun 2010, 06:21
PS tm where were you when all this was being extensively discussed/deadlines extended 2-3 years ago?

Burying my head in the sand and pretending I wasn't going to use the licence again anyway so it didn't matter...

DPE?

Tim

S-Works
5th Jun 2010, 07:36
You don't need an FAA ticket to fly an n erg in the UK. If you are going to the US to fly then it is simple enough to get a new one which will be free apart from CAA fees. If you are just badge collecting it will be very very expensive to get a new one at European DPE rates.....

So ask yourself what it is for? Do you need one or just want one? If it is want then get a full FAA PPL. If it is a need then get a full FAA PPL and don't build a house if cards again.....

Cusco
5th Jun 2010, 07:42
Designated Pilot Examiner

FAA Regulations (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/faa_regulations/)

Oh and you'll also need an IACRA account with login password.........

This gives you a unique identifier number (known as FTN) = (letter)(six figure number)

Good luck: it's all on the FAA website................

Cusco:rolleyes:

tmmorris
6th Jun 2010, 07:49
I'm starting to see why people feel got at on here. I asked about how to revive my defunct licence - and people attack me for badge-collecting.

I 'need' it to fly in the US while on holiday. Clearly the DPE route is pointless as I won't need the licence until I am next in the US so I will do it via the local FSDO.

Tim

S-Works
6th Jun 2010, 09:27
There was no attack. It was an observation and a suggestion. You asked a question and were given an opinion.