PDA

View Full Version : What is accepted by CAA?

scanavos
30th May 2010, 19:34
Two questions:
1) Can a FI(A) file the revalidation of a PPL holder on his licence after a revalidation LPC and hence state the new dates of validity?
Am asking cause I recently faced this question after a revalidation flight with a PPL holder: Will you sign on my licence the LPC we just flew together and write the new date of validity or you sign on my logbook only and tomorrow I have to go to the CAA to submit the logbook for my 12 hrs and the flight we did together?
2) The CAA will issue him a new license with the validity written on the PPL paper or he has to carry with him the PPL paper (without the new date) and the logbook showing to every CAA spotcheck both documents, the PPL paper and the logbook, in order to prove thet he is a current PPL?

My experience says that the FEs may sign licences by writing the date of validity only after skilltests or LPCs. After the flight with a FI for revalidation purposes, he cannot and he must not sign on a licence.

Any info, pleasantly welcome!

madlandrover
30th May 2010, 19:44
Looking at your location I'm going to be a bit careful - the following is purely for SEP rating holders flying on licences issued by the UK CAA (JAA or UKCAA
licences)

1) A bog standard FI(A) can't do LPCs - as you state, a FE would be needed for that. We can however do the biannual training flight which I think you're referring to. In any case we can't sign licences but can sign a logbook to indicate that the training flight really took place - that logbook signature on its own means nothing, it's just one of the requirements for the revalidation of SEP rating by experience. The PPL holder doesn't need to go to the CAA, any FE, GR, or simple R examiner can sign the paperwork.

2) No need for a new licence - the rating validity page would simply be signed off with the new date of expiry.

Of course, that's probably all different for Canadian CAA licences!

Whopity
30th May 2010, 21:30
Clearly you are talking about UK CAA issued licences however are you a JAA FI(A)? If not, you can't do anything regarding the renewal or revalidation of a UK issued licence.

If you are a JAA FI then all you can do is an instructional flight where you simply sign the log book and enter your JAA FI number to acknowledge that the dual flight was at least 1 hour in duration. Its not an LPC; only an examiner can complete a LPC. Only an authorised person can make a entry in a licence; in accordance with the written authorisation they hold.

It sounds as though this candidate had his 12 hours and needed the 1 hour with an instructor (which must be a JAA instructor) then he either needs to find a JAA examiner to do the revalidation, or he can send it off to the CAA if there are no examiners available. They simply issue him with a new Certificate of Revalidation based upon his log book entries and a form SRG1119 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1119.pdf) completed by the applicant.

If he doesn't get it done by the expiry date his 12 hours are no good and he has to pass a LST with an examiner.

To be valid his PPL must have a Class Rating in Section XII and a Certificate of Revalidation that has not passed the "Valid Until" date.